Pool Vac that won't get stuck on the main drain?

Jul 16, 2017
Murrieta, CA
My House came with a pool and the pool came with an old Hayward Pool Vac. It worked reasonably well for the past year, but the only way to keep it from getting stuck on the main drain was to divert almost all of the suction away from the drain and to the pool vac. A few weeks ago it started behaving poorly and it's pretty clear to me that it's ready to be rebuilt. My choices are to rebuild it with standard parts, upgrade it to the new Hayward VFlex technology, or replace it with something different.

I have a small, kidney shaped pool and most of the debris is pine needles and bugs: the old Pool Vac has no problem with that stuff and only clogged once in the past year when a big chunk of tree bark fell into the pool. It did have a tendency to get stuck for a while near the steps into the pool, but aside from that and the need to pretty much shut off the main drain, it worked well. I like the simplicity of the vac over the alternative of a robot, but I'd like it better if I could give more supply to the pump by opening up the main drain.

Would the VFlex upgrade help it overcome the drain suction? Or is there a better Vac design that I should be considering instead of paying for a rebuild/upgrade kit?

I strongly recommend getting VGB compliant drain covers. It is a shame that it wasn't fixed as a condition of the sale of the house. My pool contractor stated that he could not do any work on my pool unless I replaced the drain covers to be compliant.

The drain covers themselves are very cheap and easy to replace when the pool is drained. Otherwise, you may have to pay a diver to replace them.

Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act - Wikipedia

Replacing the covers could solve two issues, avoiding having someone entraped and maybe your current cleaner won't get stuck anymore.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.