Pool vac does not move

pippo

Jul 3, 2021
florida
People,

Hayward vac, few years old, so replaced the shoes and "flaps/wings". Checked pressure and it is in the mid of the min/max. When I hold the vac underwater near the surface and observe the shoes vibrate like thay should, also I place my hand at the suction orfice at bottom of vac and get a fair amount of suction. But when I place it against a surface of the pool (like the wall) the shoes immediately stop vibrating.

Tips appreciated.

Ah okay so its a suction side. I have this same model and it isn't very good IME. Have you checked the manual to see how much suction it needs to operate correctly?

Good tip, I lost the original manual, but there has got to be an online version, maybe I can try to find it. Will let you know.......BUT, why did it work up to recently, with the psi's provided by the pump? I did try to vary the suction vac psi, up/down, with no effect........

The suction can change based on a number of things. Pump speed, debris in baskets, filter is dirty, debris in the lines, etc.

My vac works the best right after I empty the baskets, clean the filter and make sure there isn't anything clogged in the lines (curse my neighbors tree!). Over time it gets worse and I have to increase the RPM of my VS pump.

Idk about the shoes being a mismatch. I would verify you bought the right ones though.

Reactions: pippo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have a similar Hayward navigator. Very easy to take apart and service. Ours needs minimal suction to creep around. Navigator is probably 8 years old. Parts are very inexpensive on eBay.

Reactions: Cwiggs
Shoes shouldn't make a difference. Nylon for plaster, cork for vinyl.

If you reach in the suction hole, does the wheel easily turn w your finger? If not some debris is lodged in the mechanism.

I'd go with a robot instead of another suction cleaner.
Thanks, good to know I didnt get the wrong shoes. So, yes, I did reach inside the wheel while suction/connected to hose, and the paddles of the wheeel are turning quite well. It further is mystifying. How different is this robot vs the vac?

We have a similar Hayward navigator. Very easy to take apart and service. Ours needs minimal suction to creep around. Navigator is probably 8 years old. Parts are very inexpensive on eBay.
Right. I do buy online, not that expensive. I am pulling my hair out as to why my vac does not move. Maybe time to take the whole thing apart one more time, before I throw it out.

I just switched one of my pools over from the Navigator to the Pentair Rebel. The Navigator was run 10 hours a day for 6 years, and only needed about a $85 fix along the way before internals wore out. The drawback is it's gear mechanisms. These are not all that easy to get in and out of to clear debris. The basic design has not changed since they were marketed as the Arneson Pool Vac, which was bought out by Hayward in the 90"s.
The Rebel used larger thicker gears inside, and is a snap to open, literally. The case pops open to access internals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.