Pool turns cloudy with pump running

Inimitable

May 8, 2019
Montclair, NJ
I have an 18x34 gunite pool for the first time. I have noticed the pool turns cloudy when the pump is running. My water is balanced according to multiple tests at the pool store. I was traveling for two days and the filter was off. When I returned the pool was beautifully crystal clear. There was patchy sandy dirt spread across the bottom that I vacuumed to filter mode as well. After that and any time my filter is running the pool is hazy. I have a Triton II sand filter and backwash regularly. What else should I consider? Changing the sand?

Will be refinishing the plaster in a few weeks, but would like to figure out the issue before the pool company starts.

Here is an animated gif of 1) pump off two days 2) anytime pump is on (pictured is shortly after vacuuming)

Also unmentioned in first post is that I generally see dirty water (brown) from return jets for the first minute or so after starting filter.

Attachments

• E060F5AC-A393-40DF-B517-67B4D126DA5C.gif
    E060F5AC-A393-40DF-B517-67B4D126DA5C.gif
    464 KB · Views: 22
You got filter problems. It could be a defective multiport valve but I don;t see how that would leak without also leaking out the waste port.

Probably you have a cracked standpipe or lateral.

I think you get to dig in this weekend and see what;s what. Hopefully someone installed things with unions, so you don't have to cut pipes for access.

A few tips I've picked up reading others' stories here
1) Drain the water
2) Use a shop vac set in a wheelbarrow to empty the filter.
3) Tip the vacuum to empty it. It beats carrying it. If there's too much sand for the wheelbarrow, tip it onto a plastic tarp or old shower curtain to keep it clean and reusable.
4) Stick a paper cup or some duct tape over the top of the standpipe on refill
5) Fill the tank partially with water before you start adding sand. At least enough to submerge the laterals.
6) Backwash and rinse after reassembly

I feel bad saying this, but I hope you find a broken lateral. At least once you know the precise nature of the problem fixing it will be easy.

You got filter problems. It could be a defective multiport valve but I don;t see how that would leak without also leaking out the waste port.

Probably you have a cracked standpipe or lateral.

I think you get to dig in this weekend and see what;s what. Hopefully someone installed things with unions, so you don't have to cut pipes for access.

A few tips I've picked up reading others' stories here
1) Drain the water
2) Use a shop vac set in a wheelbarrow to empty the filter.
3) Tip the vacuum to empty it. It beats carrying it. If there's too much sand for the wheelbarrow, tip it onto a plastic tarp or old shower curtain to keep it clean and reusable.
4) Stick a paper cup or some duct tape over the top of the standpipe on refill
5) Fill the tank partially with water before you start adding sand. At least enough to submerge the laterals.
6) Backwash and rinse after reassembly

I feel bad saying this, but I hope you find a broken lateral. At least once you know the precise nature of the problem fixing it will be easy.
What you’re saying could help explain the excessive loss of water too.
Thanks.

If the stuff in the pool looks like filter sand, you might have a cracked lateral.

Loss of water could be many different things but not a bad lateral.

If the stuff in the pool looks more like regular dirt, it might be a cracked return.

Can you vacuum some of the stuff up into a knee hi stocking or something so that we can get a good look at it?

How much water are you losing?

Do you lose more water when the pump is on or off?

I’ll try to vac it like that and share the result. The feel is more like sand. I was losing about 1” per day, but made some temporary epoxy fixes around the skimmers which slowed down the loss to maybe a half inch per day when the pump is on 24/7. Definitely more loss when the filter is on.

I was thinking it could be a multi port valve leak because I do see some standing water where the underground waste pipe leads to. I need to understand if that is from rain and lawn sprinklers though since it’s the same location where our extensive hill/slope drainage ends. I also have a close valve on the waste out pipe of the multi valve which (I think) would prevent water from leaking down the pipe.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.