Pool Turned Green After SWG Boost

Salonso

Jun 13, 2022
Perris, CA
Hello, my pool was ok yesterday. The color was clear if not a little cloudy. I decided to turn my SWG to “boost” mode and woke up this morning with my pool water now a clear green.

This was the first time I turned on my SWG and boosted it btw, as this is a new pool. The walls of the pool don’t feel slimy. I checked my numbers today and my pH was 7.8 and FC was 1.8 (I have already added products to fix that).

I read that metals can cause this, so idk if it’s that or the pH level? I have a sacrificing anode in my skimmer, would that be the source if the cause IS metal??

Attachments

• F77AD3D3-57C8-4A79-AA91-349751BEDA32.jpeg
    F77AD3D3-57C8-4A79-AA91-349751BEDA32.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 30
Looks like iron. Put some paper towels in your skimmer. Do not block the water flow. See if they turn brown.

Reactions: Salonso
Looks like iron. Put some paper towels in your skimmer. Do not block the water flow. See if they turn brown.
This was after probably not even 2 minutes of the paper towel being in there. Even my hand looks a little discolored.

Attachments

• 9610F171-1891-4C7A-A80C-87ED370E5BF5.jpeg
    9610F171-1891-4C7A-A80C-87ED370E5BF5.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 23
  • 66A6DF75-0757-4389-9819-36515C3C361A.jpeg
    66A6DF75-0757-4389-9819-36515C3C361A.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 22
OK -- get some polyfill (pillow stuffing) as quick as you can. Get it in the skimmer. Run the pump and try to get as much of the iron out as possible. You really do not want it to stain the pool surface.

OK -- get some polyfill (pillow stuffing) as quick as you can. Get it in the skimmer. Run the pump and try to get as much of the iron out as possible. You really do not want it to stain the pool surface.
Thank you!! I will do this immediately, but I am wondering.. is there a filter that can do this also? Because I think I figured out the source.

The pool is a few feet away from a tree whose leaves fall in occasionally. I think they may be causing the problem?

I took down this Pool twice, and the second time after I drained the water I left the pool out for a few days, when I came back to thoroughly brush the liner the outline of where the leaves lay had turned a rusty brown. I just remembered this. Even my sister said something like “It rusted so quickly already??”

If this is the source, this will definitely be a reoccurring problem until I cut down the tree.

Trees do not add iron. Your fill water does. Not much. But some.

The cartridge filter will catch some if that is what you have. But the polyfill is the best for a quick fix.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.