Kathi

Jun 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have had my pool for 20 years and have minimal problem maintaining it until this year.

For background last year I had my pool water recycled rather than draining and refilling. Ever since then I’ve had problems maintaining a clean pool.

I have the test kit and I ran the numbers currently my pool has no chlorine, C YA is 20, TA is 130, C H is 600, P H is 7.8.

I have a frog system that has the minerals and chlorine, apparently it’s no longer working efficiently.

I also have something that seems to be clinging to my pool creepy hose. See attached photo.

Where do I start to get it back to normal?9C27CBD6-5CB5-4966-A015-E2BDE1337960.jpeg

If you have been using the FROG trichlor pacs and your CYA is 20, something is not right.

If you wish to follow TFPC, stop using the Frog and follow our What Are My Ideal Pool Levels?
OK. I am willing to make the switch.
I have been reading various threads and see I need to lower my PH, lower my CH, and raise my CYA. Then SLAM my pool and move forward.
I replaced my filters yesterday , added liquid chlorine last night and ran the filter all night.
My numbers this morning were
PH 7.8
Chlorine 0
CH 840
TA 120
CYA 0
I am going to test again soon and add more liquid chlorine. I moved my frog dispenser to 9 but it seems it is no longer added anything to the pool.
Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: mknauss
Tested my water again
Chlorine 0
PH 8.2
CH 750
TA 120
CYA 0
Just added 3 cups MA, will test in an hour. I need to add 40oz -the tech at Leslie’s would say I had to wait 4 hours between treatments. Is that corrrct?
Is there a timeline to adding chemicals?
Thanks for any feedback

I'd add chlorine to see if you can hold 5 ppm FC to rule out ammonia. Once you can hold 5 ppm of chlorine then get the CYA in at a level of 30 and slam away. Brushing 3 times a day and keeping the FC at slam level several time a day is what will make this process work.

add chlorine to see if you can hold 5 ppm FC to rule out ammonia. Once you can hold 5 ppm of chlorine then get the CYA in at a level of 30 and slam away
You only need to hold 5 ppm of FC for 30 minutes to be sure there’s no more ammonia, or that there wasn’t any to be give with.

Making progress
I added 2lbs of stabilizer this morning via the sock method.
I just took a sample and my results are:
FC .5
CC 0
CH 575
TA 110
PH 7.2
CYA between zero and 20

I am adding another 33oz of stabilizer and 38oz of chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to wait until 24hrs has passed before testing cya & adding more.
Your 1st 2lbs should add 24ppm
It’s also possible u already had some, just not enough to register on the test -
If u add 33 more oz that will increase cya by 25ppm -
That’s at least 50ppm, possibly more.
That would require an even higher slam fc level

Reactions: wireform
I followed pool math and added half the recommended amount. Then I tested again and added the rest.
My pool barely has chlorine
My numbers are as follows
FC 2.5
CC 0
Chlorine per Taylor Test 5. 10 (not sure what that means)
CYA 42
TA 110
CH 550
PH 7.2

I followed pool math and added half the recommended amount. Then I tested again and added the rest.
My pool barely has chlorine
My numbers are as follows
FC 2.5
CC 0
Chlorine per Taylor Test 5. 10 (not sure what that means)
CYA 42
TA 110
CH 550
PH 7.2
What test kit are using specifically? I ask because CYA test with the 2006 isn't going to be that specific to give you a '42' unless you are just deriving that # from where it's at on the comparator. And pool math is very helpful especially once you have things settled down. Also make certain you have correct #'s inputted and correct type of chemical you are using ex: if using bleach as sanitizer then what % of bleach is important. Remember to log what you are adding and when so that you know exactly how much of "x" you have added. These people will get you fixed up. Best of luck

Gotcha. I use the Taylor 2006 test kit so when you said Taylor I figured you had same. I am not familiar with TF-100 CYA test readings but assume they're similar. The OTO test is not going to be as useful to you as the FAS/DPD test so I'd just use that one. I am by no means anything close to an expert but I am a walking testimonial to the TFP method.....it works.

Reactions: Kathi

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.