Pool tile repair

PoolParadise

Jun 30, 2020
Frisco, TX
Hello, we had a few tiles pop off of the spillway of our pool. Having done some research it sounds like I may need ez-patch 1 (to build up the bed, where the tile will be placed), ez-patch 3 (thin set) and ez-patch 4 (grout).

We recently had a freeze and I’m thinking (hoping) that is the reason for the tiles popping off. I don’t see evidence yet of any cracks or anything.

I’ve already used a little saw to remove the grout on the tiles. The tiles look like they are in good shape. I also removed the grout on the sides of the tiles that bordered the ones that fell off. But I’m not sure whether I should try to chip away the grout or plaster that was underneath. I saw a pool video where the person doing the repair simply built up the bed (using EZ patch 1) to make the surface even without chipping away anything underneath. That person then reapplied the tiles using the thin set and then grouted around the new tiles.

My questions are, should I chip away the gray stuff in the picture? I don’t know if that is grout or part of the bed that I should build back up using EZ-set 1. If I do chip that gray stuff away, then do I even need EZ-set 1 or can I just use EZ-set 3 to apply thin set to the tile and then just use EZ-set 4 to grout around it? Just wondering what the experts would do…9FB86C75-15FB-4EB1-912D-0DFE9FE9C091.jpeg58A5BDFB-EAEA-42B4-B4DA-AF12C7A23FF6.jpeg

I use a Milwaukee battery powered oscillating tool with a grout blade to clean off all of the old thinset and grout and get down to the gunite layer. And get the old grout off the tile edges of the tiles alongside the ones that fell off.

Then you can put a layer of thinset on the gunite and butter the tile and lay it on. Give it a few days to set and then apply grout.

I use the EZ-Patch products.

I use a Milwaukee battery powered oscillating tool with a grout blade to clean off all of the old thinset and grout and get down to the gunite layer. And get the old grout off the tile edges of the tiles alongside the ones that fell off.

Then you can put a layer of thinset on the gunite and butter the tile and lay it on. Give it a few days to set and then apply grout.

I use the EZ-Patch products.
Thanks!

Did you have to use any colorant in your grout when you re-grouted? My grout is somewhat dark (grayish brown) and the ez-patch grout is white. Just wondering if you had any experience coloring the grout and what type of colorant you used.

Thanks!

Did you have to use any colorant in your grout when you re-grouted? My grout is somewhat dark (grayish brown) and the ez-patch grout is white. Just wondering if you had any experience coloring the grout and what type of colorant you used.
No, white grout blends in well enough with my grout.

Reactions: PoolParadise
What did you end up doing on grout? I’m also in frisco, coincidentally and have the same tile. Had some pop off. Used Grout magic to stick it back on, now I need to fill in the grout with a gray grout. I’ve seen some on Amazon but I wonder if we needed sanded grout.
Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.