Pool tech says I don't need skimmer float valves. But why?

JoannaB

Oct 17, 2018
Lake Oswego, Oregon
He was here to troubleshoot a leak (it was the heater) and while assessing the rest of the pool he removed the skimmer float valves, saying the pool would probably operate better without them. I guess I should have asked then, but I was so focused on the leak situation I didn't think to. Can anyone tell me why we would not need the float valves?

I don't use them in my pool either. I never found them to be very useful even for their intended purpose. If you have a lot of leaf debris that can potentially clog a skimmer and there is a main drain or another skimmer to pick up the slack, then having the float valve is supposed to prevent the pump from running dry. However, some VS pumps and/or controllers can detect no flow conditions and shut down the pump anyway. Plus I have found that the float valves don't seal very well and end up leaking air which defeats the purpose.

Ah, that helps. Leaves are not an issue here. Since our pool equipment is downhill from the pool I doubt it would ever run dry anyway.
Being downhill may not prevent the pump from running dry. There are still scenarios where it is possible such as low water levels and skimmer blockage.

Joanna,

Show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad...

I too have no use for the floating diverter that many skimmer's originally had.

When the floating diverter is removed, your main drain is no longer useable, assuming it is plumbed into the bottom of your skimmer. This is not as 'bad' as it sounds, as most pools do not need a main drain, and there thousands and thousands of pool out there without operating main drains, and they all work just fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Even without the float, there will be a small amount of flow from the main drain port in the skimmer. This is because there is a slight pressure differential in the skimmer due to a slightly lower water level than the main pool body. This is the reason water flows into the skimmer.

Joanna,

Show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad...

I too have no use for the floating diverter that many skimmer's originally had.

When the floating diverter is removed, your main drain is no longer useable, assuming it is plumbed into the bottom of your skimmer. This is not as 'bad' as it sounds, as most pools do not need a main drain, and there thousands and thousands of pool out there without operating main drains, and they all work just fine.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Here it is. What does it tell you?

1713044084792.png

Joanna,

I wanted to see how many pipes you have coming into your main pool pump..

I can see two pipes.. One is marked skimmer.. I can't see the markings on the other one. If the 2nd pipe is marked skimmer (if you have 2 skimmers) or Cleaner, then that means that your main drain is plumbed into the bottom of your skimmer.. And, removing the diverters will basically shut off the main drain.. Since the diverters probably did not really work anyway, it should make no difference at all..

On the other hand, if the 2nd pipe is marked 'Main Drain' then you would still have access to your main drain line with or without the floating diverter.

Just curious..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Joanna,

MD would be the main drain... I suggest that you only open the main drain about 10% or so.. This will make your skimmer work better.

It also means that your floating diverter was not controlling your main drain..

If you look about 18" below your skimmer, do you see a pipe in the side wall of your pool? It might even has a 'eyeball" on it. Did you ever wonder why no water ever came out of the pipe??

If so, then that is an equalizer port and it is there so if the water level in the pool fell below the mouth of the skimmer, the diverter valves would close and the pump would suck water from the pool through the equalizer port..

Just for reference.. I have three pools, that I have owned for well over 10 years, in all that time, my water level has never dropped below my skimmer. So for me anyway, the diverter valves and equalizer ports are just a waste of space.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JoannaB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support