Pool Store vs TF100 Test Kit - My observation

Gadragonfly

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 16, 2017
Fairburn, Georgia
This past Saturday, I had an opportunity to compare my friend's pool which is maintained using pool store testing and recommendations vs testing with my TF100 test kit. Our pools are almost identical in shape and size. I suspect ours has a little more volume because our shallow end drops off much quicker than theirs. The test results were surprisingly similar with very little variance in any of the values. My friend mentioned that they only put in the pool that which the store tells them they need and they believe the pool store doesn't sell them anything more then they need. Apparently last week they put "Lo and Slow" in the water at the recommendation of the pool store and earlier in the week they put some "shock" because they had kids over the weekend playing in the pool. They were surprised to learn that we haven't added anything to our pool since the beginning of the season. Based on the results that I got using my kit, I believe their water is as safe as ours (with the exception of pH which was off the chart), but what was interesting is that ours is so much clearer than theirs. Both my husband and I agreed that we prefer our TFP method of sparkly pool to their pool store, slightly cloudy pool.

Go back in August ---- things may not look quite the same.

High pH does make pool water 'dull'. If truly cloudy, there is algae.

That might have been it then, because their FC was on the low end of acceptable but right where ours was before our pump turned on. Their cc was 0. I had planned to double check my FC because it was 4 and I like to keep it at 6. (Our CYA is at 60 and because this is a SWG pool it needs to be 70 or 80) but, we run our pump from 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm and I tested at 10:00 am. I wanted to double check the FC toward the end of the pump cycle to make sure the FC was higher. We prefer to make chlorine during the high peak sun hours to off-set the effects of the sun on FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.