Pool Store Testing

Patrickoleary

Apr 7, 2019
Greensburg,PA
My pool has been open for 3 weeks here in PA. I tested last night and all my numbers were perfect using Taylor.

For fun, I knew I’d be passing the pool store today and had them test the water, along with their recommendations. Results attached.

Attachments

• 9D0203FE-28FB-4FCA-BFEB-8C3641B7897A.jpeg
    9D0203FE-28FB-4FCA-BFEB-8C3641B7897A.jpeg
    704.1 KB · Views: 42
  • CB7D43D6-BEA8-4DB5-B8CD-CC09F8FAE6F5.jpeg
    CB7D43D6-BEA8-4DB5-B8CD-CC09F8FAE6F5.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
full

Hey, at least they are right when they say high pH reduces effectiveness of chlorine… even if they can’t measure the pH properly that is still true.

Copper only gets in one way, you added it. Have you used products with copper in it lately? As you drain down for the winter, it would have been a lot of it.

Copper only gets in one way, you added it. Have you used products with copper in it lately? As you drain down for the winter, it would have been a lot of it.
Thanks. This spring after opening about 3 weeks ago we have added:

- Tap water to get back up to level after opening.
- Liquid chlorine -- maybe 12 gallons or so, since I didn't have the salt system on until just the other day.
- Conditioner, since the CYA was low after the winter.
- My wife added the liquid heat blanket twice (I don't think it works where we live because we get tons of wind and the surface tension of the water is always breaking, but I am not arguing about it).
- I just checked with my pool guy and when they opened they added 2 quarts of Algaecide, I wasn't here when they did it or I would tell them not to.

We don't poor anything into the skimmer basket.

We do have a Zinc anode, just figured I would mention that.

Other than that, we haven't did much of anything to the pool. Perhaps, it has been there longer or there is another reason it is high.

Should I test the copper myself by buying some strips or a kit, before I go any farther? I am thinking so because so many of the other tests were off. Though, their Chlorine matched mine exactly. Additionally, I don't know that I have ever known the copper level of the pool. We have owned the home 3 years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A copper level of 0.7 will show up as blonde hair and fingernails turning green, staining of the pool surface (dark stains), etc.

As you have not added anything this spring, the level would have been much higher last fall.

I suspect the test is wrong unless you are seeing those indicators.

A copper level of 0.7 will show up as blonde hair and fingernails turning green, staining of the pool surface (dark stains), etc.

As you have not added anything this spring, the level would have been much higher last fall.

Thank you. Upon research and checking with our pool guy (I edited above), they added in Copper algaecide - which he said is standard. I forgot to tell him not to add anything like I have in years past. They usually want to close by adding something as well, but I tell them I already added Polyquat 60.

No green finger nails, and my blonde daughter is still blonde. There is a stain in the deep end though, that seems like it set in over winter.

The only other thing we have had is massive rains in the area, which raised the pool water up to the lip of the pool. I had to pump it down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.