pool store testing

a good friend of mine sent my a pic of his pool store water test.
fc .50
cc 0
ph 7.4
TA 22
ch 310
cya 50

is it possible to have a ta of 22 and a ph of 7.4 ??

he has an IG plaster 15000 g pool

Not likely. All pool store tests are questionable.

If his pH is in the 7's He should not touch his TA. And he should get his FC up.

Tell him to get his own test kit. Did he buy any chemicals at the pool store?

a good friend of mine sent my a pic of his pool store water test.
Or ...... if you and your friend live near each other, do him/her a favor and run a quick set of tests with your K-2006. Compare results so you can see the difference.
funny... he bought the 2006c and the speed stir! i think he’s overwhelmed
Oh, I see you just posted that. Well then, he needs to stop going to the pool store and rely on his own testing. Gotta cut that cord.

Tell him to check in here and we wil help him. Lots of folks go through the process and get the hang of it.

Or ...... if you and your friend live near each other, do him/her a favor and run a quick set of tests with your K-2006. Compare results so you can see the difference.

Oh, I see you just posted that. Well then, he needs to stop going to the pool store and rely on his own testing. Gotta cut that cord.
i think he bought a bunch of stuff.. i wish he did live close, i’d slap him about now

It's probably Adjusted TA, a lot of pool stores use that for some reason. What reason? Ask a dozen pool stores and get a dozen different answers.

Still doesn't mean it's accurate, just that the actual TA reading probably registered higher than that.

To get the adjusted alkalinity, subtract the cyanurate alkalinity from the total alkalinity.

The cyanurate alkalinity is a percentage of the CYA based on the pH.

pH......%CYA to subtract from TA.

7.0.....0.22CYA.
7.2.....0.26CYA.
7.4.....0.30CYA.
7.6.....0.33CYA.
7.8.....0.35CYA.
8.0.....0.36CYA.

50(0.30) = 15.

15 + 22 = 37 actual TA.

In any case, just encourage them to do their own testing and ignore adjusted TA.

The people doing adjusted TA probably don't have any idea what it means.

Have them raise the TA and pH enough to get the CSI to at least -0.3.

If they raise the TA to 60 or 70, the pH will rise to 7.8 within a few days and then they will be in good shape.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmikeb
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.