Pool Store Cell Check

Apr 25, 2015
Pasadena, CA
Has anyone had their cell put thru a diagnostic check at a pool store? What type of results do they give you, is it just whether it’s working or not, or something more detailed? I’m asking because i just cleaned my cell yesterday as it hasn’t been producing chlorine. It’s back to producing for now, but still reading low salt when i know it’s not. Wondering if taking it to the store will give me more info into what’s going on?

Last edited:
There are many problems in the control box that can cause a low salt reading. Read Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading

Post the diagnostic information by scrolling through the display as you press the button.
Allen, i think you helped me when i was having issues with my clock setting and high salt warnings. I fixed those by soldering a couple points on the board. Anyway current readings are as follows:
+25.81v
+4.99a
80deg
2300ppm

-25.64v
-5.16a
80deg
2400ppm

instant salt reading 2600
tested salt 3600

How old is your cell?

When the cell salt reading and the measured salt reading diverge it indicates the cell is getting worn out.

I would add 200 ppm of salt to the water to make the cell happier and keep an eye on it.

What salt test kit ae you using to measure? K-1766 or salt strips?

How old is your cell?

When the cell salt reading and the measured salt reading diverge it indicates the cell is getting worn out.

I would add 200 ppm of salt to the water to make the cell happier and keep an eye on it.

What salt test kit ae you using to measure? K-1766 or salt strips?
Less than 2 years! Yes i use K-1766. Can’t believe how many issues I’ve had with this system. Seriously thinking about looking into another brand.

Pool store testers give either a PASS or FAIL reading. No maybe's or salt readings.....the cell could be in the process of failing and still give off as PASS reading. Your amperage seems to be fine, at least consistent with a cell that measures 2700-3000ppm. At 2300-2400 ppm I'd expect 4.50a .

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.