Pool Still Green After Opening

Looks like you lost almost all your chlorine overnight? If so, there is something in there eating it. If the water is crystal clear, it'd probably be a quick SLAM. Raise FC to 12 Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart test and adjust back to 12 a couple of times a day and brush the entire pool once a day. Once you have less than 1ppm loss of FC overnight and stay under 1ppm CC you'll be good to go.

Yeah, STG, that is what I would do as well. Nothing else needs to be done right now other than that. Target 12ppm FC and check it every 3 hours today until this evening and lets see how it does overnight again.

Your water is clear, I doubt it will take long, your CC's came down overnight so your Chlorine seems to be having a direct impact on whatever it is, a good boost to 12ppm will probably wipe whatever it is right out of there, possibly today even.

Lets take it one day at a time on it.

Gotta get my little one to the bus stop, but I KNEW you would be up with the chickens and I wanted to get down here to check in on you.

Catch up in a bit.

Looks like you lost almost all your chlorine overnight? If so, there is something in there eating it. If the water is crystal clear, it'd probably be a quick SLAM. Raise FC to 12 Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart test and adjust back to 12 a couple of times a day and brush the entire pool once a day. Once you have less than 1ppm loss of FC overnight and stay under 1ppm CC you'll be good to go.

Mr. Bruce hit the nail on the head - it's time to SLAM Process the pool.

This is why pool store methods often don't work. Had you been following their advice when you said it was clear yesterday they would have said great, have a nice day - go swimming.

But, we have proven with testing and science that something is growing in the water. Science tells us that the only two things deplete chlorine in the pool water:

1. The UV rays of the sun

Organic matter in the pool being oxidized

By testing overnight we take the UV rays out of the equation and prove that there is something unseen in your water.

Bleh! That's what I was afraid of which is why after posting my numbers this morning I then went outside and got down on my stomach and reached in and scrubbed around every return, the light, skimmer basket, stairs, etc. with a toothbrush. I then brushed down all the walls and floor again. I'm now gonna give that junk time to settle down a bit and will go and vacuum again and add some bleach. Given where my numbers are, HOW much bleach do you think should I add right now to get to those numbers? 2 gallons 3 quarts or 3.6 (96 oz) jugs, like the PoolMath shows? Should I attempt to clean the filter cartridges one last time before starting or no? I've been using the sock since I last cleaned it so didn't know if I needed to or not since that sock should be caching a lot of the gunk.

Also, this is what the pool looks like this am with the jets off to see how clear it is.

And finally, for the last two days when I go to clean the basket in the morning I've been having this brown-ish colored junk on the sock. What do you suppose that is? Pollen possibly? Like I said, it's just been the last two days. Thanks!!

Use the Pool Math numbers. You want to hit it hard and test and adjust back to shock level as many times as you can today. Keep the pump running, keep it at at shiock level as much as possible and it should be over quickly.

Please refresh me, since this is all still new to me (meanwhile I will go read up again) how would I "adjust back"? And yes, the pool math calc gave me those numbers/amounts when I put 0.8 in as my current and 12 as my target.

Use the Pool Math numbers. You want to hit it hard and test and adjust back to shock level as many times as you can today. Keep the pump running, keep it at at shiock level as much as possible and it should be over quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please refresh me, since this is all still new to me (meanwhile I will go read up again) how would I "adjust back"? And yes, the pool math calc gave me those numbers/amounts when I put 0.8 in as my current and 12 as my target.

OK, you Pool Math tells you you need 3.6 jugs to get to shock level right now (personally I'd just add 4). You add them with the pump running

Two hours from now you test FC again. Plug that new number in Pool Math and see what it takes to get back to shock level. Add that bleach

Two hours later, do it again

Two hours later, do it again

Test and adjust back up to shock level as often as you can, but at least one hour between adjustments.

All day, keep it up. Gotta go to work? Test and adjust to shock as soon as you get up. Once more before you leave for work. Again as soon as you get home and once more before bed.

This is why you need a lot of the FAS/DPD powder/drops during a SLAM Process, you will be testing a lot.

And your photo, yes that's pollen. Tonight when you do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test make sure those are clean. The pollen will consume some chlorine, but not the amount you lost last night.

I have confirmed your numbers, 15,000 gallons, 6% bleach, and FC going from 0.8 to 12. 2 gallons and 3 quarts! Go ahead and dump in the bleach.

Many chemicals it's recommended to add half and then re-test and then add what remainder is required to not overshoot. But this is not one of those times. Add the whole 2 gallons and 3 quarts right away, we're not worried about overshooting a little on chlorine.

The goal is to maintain that FC level of 12ppm so "Adjust back" means after you've added this dose of bleach, re-test FC levels in an hour or two and if it's fallen to let's say 10, go ahead and add more bleach to 'adjust back' to 12.

Ahhhh, gotcha!!! Thanks a million everyone!!

I have confirmed your numbers, 15,000 gallons, 6% bleach, and FC going from 0.8 to 12. 2 gallons and 3 quarts! Go ahead and dump in the bleach.

Many chemicals it's recommended to add half and then re-test and then add what remainder is required to not overshoot. But this is not one of those times. Add the whole 2 gallons and 3 quarts right away, we're not worried about overshooting a little on chlorine.

The goal is to maintain that FC level of 12ppm so "Adjust back" means after you've added this dose of bleach, re-test FC levels in an hour or two and if it's fallen to let's say 10, go ahead and add more bleach to 'adjust back' to 12.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.