Pool Step Replacement

Kdocimo90

Jul 19, 2022
Connecticut
I'm having the liner, track and deck all replaced very soon. My stairs are a little old and a bit beat up (not in TERRIBLE shape, but patched with epoxy, etc). It doesn't make sense to redo the entire pool and leave older stairs.
I've gotten quotes in the $8000-$9000 range for JUST the stairs, which seems crazy to me, considering I can order a replacement for ~$2500.

How difficult is it to replace the steps if the deck, liner and track are all getting replaced anyway? Is this something than can be DIY? It's an 8ft Straight 4-tread bullnose, which I'd like to replace with the same (but cantilever style for the new deck)

When I replaced my liner in March, the pool guy said the same price range and actually talked me out of doing it because he said people aren't generally happy with the new concrete around the new steps and how it matches the rest of the pool deck. In your case, with a deck replacement anyway, I would probably have it done. You will basically have a new pool

Reactions: Newdude
When I replaced my liner in March, the pool guy said the same price range and actually talked me out of doing it because he said people aren't generally happy with the new concrete around the new steps and how it matches the rest of the pool deck. In your case, with a deck replacement anyway, I would probably have it done. You will basically have a new pool
Sorry for the (very) late response.

I definitely want the pool stairs replaced, it's just a matter of whether it's something I (and a pool buddy) will be able to handle. Does anyone know the process to do so?
My guess is:

1. pool deck knocked out
2. stairs removed and backfill cleared out
3. Cement footing for stairs knocked out????
- side note, I wonder if I can retrofit the new stairs by cutting down/adjusting existing support pipes though I doubt. I'm going from a 3 tread to either a 4 tread straight back or 4 tread radius back.
4. New stairs in place
5. Re-cement footings
6. Backfill

Is this correct? How exactly do I ensure the stairs aren't hollow behind when back filling. Do I just use backfill dirt? Gravel? Foam?

Reactions: Lanzz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.