Pool step height

GrandLSU

May 14, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
Based on my design, it appears that the riser height of my top two steps will need to be a good bit less than the remaining lower steps. Specifically, the first step will be 7" below the deck surface, the second step will be 7" below the first step, the third step will be 12" below the second step, and the fourth step will be 12" below the third step. In other words, the first two steps will have a 7" height, and the last two steps will have a 12" height.

Does anyone think this will be a problem, or do you think this will be okay? When stepping onto that third step, will people expect it to only be 7" down like the first two were, and therefore possibly end up falling when they encounter the 12" height difference?

Does anyone have steps that are of different heights that can share your experiences?

Last edited:
Will you have toe tiles on the steps? That will help the person walking down see the difference.
I personally do not see it a big issue but the toe tiles will definitely help provide a perspective to the next step.
Post a picture of your pool design. Go Tigers!!!

Reactions: GrandLSU
I don't think it will be a problem. It is good that the higher steps are at the bottom. The water gives a person buoyancy and they don't even realize the step heights in a pool.

Uneven steps heights on land can be a tripping hazard. But people can't step up as rapidly in the water due to the waters drag. Should not be a problem.

Reactions: GrandLSU
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.