Palmetto, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
First, huge thanks to TFP and these posts for stabilizing my pool! I had a pool service until we moved 2 months ago, and decided to maintain this one on my own. Constant chasing parameters and pools supply store recommendations led to high CYA (over 120), algae bloom, and draining half the pool.

3-day SLAM after restarting, and crystal clear now. Thank you TFP community!

I kept my CYA lower for the SLAM (50) and plan to raise to 70 this week, but this CH measurement has me scratching my head. I don't want to over-add CYA and have to restart.

I had Calcium Chloride on order via Amazon and based on my post-refill measurement (CH = 225) Pool Math said I needed 370 oz by weight to go from 225 to 350. I read this as roughly 23+ lbs.

When the first 10 lb bucket arrived Sunday, I added it in advance of the 2nd part of the order. I expected CH to be around 279 based on Pool Math. It was Robelle Calcium Plus 10 lbs on Amazon https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00BD6MFO4?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_ATKPDT25SDS9YJENX9HR

Testing today shows CH at 325. Tested twice and same result. Pool pump running for over several hours when I tested, and a full 24 hours after adding, brushing in, and no sediment on pool floor.

All other calcs for adding chemicals for salt, ph, TA for pool have been spot on, so I believe the 20,000 gallon pool estimate is correct. That number came from pool store as prior owner registered it as 19,687 gallons.

I added 5.8 lbs baking soda (Arm & Hammer) for TA after refill.

I also added 6 bags 40# Diamond Crystal Bright & Soft Salt Pellets - Yellow Bag after refill.
(Diamond Crystal Bright and Soft Water Softener Salt Pellets 100012420)

*** The CH test is the one I am still getting used to color shift. It goes from red to red/w blue specks, to bluish specks and purplish flash... at least for my eyes.

Questions are:

1) Am I testing current CH level correctly via test kit? Using the 10 ml sample method vs. 25ml
2) Could the salt or baking soda have added calcium? Any ideas why CH increased faster than Pool Math said it should have?
3) Did I test starting CH level wrong, and just was higher than I thought?
4) See Taylor Tech online instructions talking about a fading endpoint due to metal ions... Understanding Calcium Hardness. Prior owner had several bottles algaecide and metal remover under house, and I used some algaecide initially. Do I need to look at metals in water?

Appreciate any and all thoughts. Still digesting everything on TFP and want to keep pool clear - and trouble free...

Latest measurements are below:

pH - 7.2
TA - 75
CYA - 50
FC - 4.5
CC - < 1.5
Salt - 4200
Temp - 79
CH - 325

IC-40 set at 50% for now. Still monitoring to get proper output level.

Testing via Taylor K-2006.

Thanks all.

Let things settle for a week or so and retest the CH. If you feel as if you cannot see the endpoint very well, do the fading endpoint process. It is also described in Calcium Hardness

Are you using a Speedstir device? It is really a great tool for testing CH level specifically.

Let things settle for a week or so and retest the CH. If you feel as if you cannot see the endpoint very well, do the fading endpoint process. It is also described in Calcium Hardness

Are you using a Speedstir device? It is really a great tool for testing CH level specifically.
Will pick up a Speedstir and test next week. The fading endpoint is describing what I am seeing. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.