Pool start-up without chemicals for a few days?

gpoli111

May 14, 2020
SE Pennsylvania
Hello everyone! My wife and I picked up probably the smallest pool you could, an Intex 10' x 30" with the pump, so we could have some fun quarantined in our backyard this summer with our new baby. I've been reading through the ABCs and about the 5 or 6 critical tests, what they measure, proper ranges and how to adjust them. I have ordered a TF-100 kit that won't be here until Monday and I have purchased pH down (have Borax on hand for pH UP), a box of liquid chlorine, calcium hardness increaser (CA) , and Chlorine stabilizer (for CYA) from Home Depot.

We're just starting great weather here and I would like to start filling my pool up today. Is it ok for the pool to go Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday without chemicals? Since my test kit won't arrive until Monday. Or is a certain amount of chlorine good to keep things sanitary until Moday. Any help would be appreciated!

I wouldn't hesitate to if it was mine. Are you filling it up with your tap water I assume? I would add the proper amount of chlorine using pool math to start with and then add 2 ppm per day after until you can test. A few days shouldn't be a big deal if you know the fill water is safe...

Wow. The test kit probably cost as much as the pool! It's good practice for the future, when you have a bigger pool.

Your dose is correct if the pool is 1000 gallons. Tap water will have zero CYA, so target 3 FC. Add the 3 every day until you can test and figure it out. And since CYA is zero, you can add that now too. Calcium isn't needed in a vinyl pool. Take it back if you can.

Wow. The test kit probably cost as much as the pool! It's good practice for the future, when you have a bigger pool.

Your dose is correct if the pool is 1000 gallons. Tap water will have zero CYA, so target 3 FC. Add the 3 every day until you can test and figure it out. And since CYA is zero, you can add that now too. Calcium isn't needed in a vinyl pool. Take it back if you can.
Well I'm an engineer so I tend to go a little overkill. I'd rather pay a little extra, have exactly the right tools, and know the numbers are in the right range. Either way, I figure 1,000 gallons is still a lot of water and I'm not going to be dumping it more than once or twice a summer (if that). There can't be any shortcuts for keeping 1,000 gallons clean vs 10,000 right?

Thanks for the help!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.