Pool start-up without chemicals for a few days?

gpoli111

May 14, 2020
SE Pennsylvania
Hello everyone! My wife and I picked up probably the smallest pool you could, an Intex 10' x 30" with the pump, so we could have some fun quarantined in our backyard this summer with our new baby. I've been reading through the ABCs and about the 5 or 6 critical tests, what they measure, proper ranges and how to adjust them. I have ordered a TF-100 kit that won't be here until Monday and I have purchased pH down (have Borax on hand for pH UP), a box of liquid chlorine, calcium hardness increaser (CA) , and Chlorine stabilizer (for CYA) from Home Depot.

We're just starting great weather here and I would like to start filling my pool up today. Is it ok for the pool to go Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday without chemicals? Since my test kit won't arrive until Monday. Or is a certain amount of chlorine good to keep things sanitary until Moday. Any help would be appreciated!

Brianf60

May 18, 2017
Bradford ontario
I wouldn't hesitate to if it was mine. Are you filling it up with your tap water I assume? I would add the proper amount of chlorine using pool math to start with and then add 2 ppm per day after until you can test. A few days shouldn't be a big deal if you know the fill water is safe...

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Wow. The test kit probably cost as much as the pool! It's good practice for the future, when you have a bigger pool.

Your dose is correct if the pool is 1000 gallons. Tap water will have zero CYA, so target 3 FC. Add the 3 every day until you can test and figure it out. And since CYA is zero, you can add that now too. Calcium isn't needed in a vinyl pool. Take it back if you can.

gpoli111

May 14, 2020
SE Pennsylvania
Wow. The test kit probably cost as much as the pool! It's good practice for the future, when you have a bigger pool.

Your dose is correct if the pool is 1000 gallons. Tap water will have zero CYA, so target 3 FC. Add the 3 every day until you can test and figure it out. And since CYA is zero, you can add that now too. Calcium isn't needed in a vinyl pool. Take it back if you can.
Well I'm an engineer so I tend to go a little overkill. I'd rather pay a little extra, have exactly the right tools, and know the numbers are in the right range. Either way, I figure 1,000 gallons is still a lot of water and I'm not going to be dumping it more than once or twice a summer (if that). There can't be any shortcuts for keeping 1,000 gallons clean vs 10,000 right?

Thanks for the help!