Pool start up levels - new IG

You can’t measure CYA of 25. If the dot disappears between 30 and 20 we round up and call it 30. The scale between lines is logarithmic, not linear, and you can’t eyeball values between the lines.

Adding acid does not affect CYA.

Your numbers look fine. You can raise your CH to around 250.

Reactions: Watershow
Hi so PB got back to me about the cracks and chipping on the grout. He said he that he has no problem fixing the grout but there will be a visible difference between the old and replaced grout. He said the I may be bothered more by the color difference than the crack itself. I am not sure why there would be such a color difference if they are using the same color?

There is some batch to batch variation in colors. Some grout colors are custom mixed. Your PB may know something about the materials he used.

Tell him to apply the new grout to one small area and have your eview how it looks and the color matches. Then you can decide if you give him the go ahead to proceed.

Hello!
It’s been super windy here and my pool is full of dirt and leaves. What do you guys usually do to maintain/clean your pool during strong winds. Can’t vacuum because plaster is 2 weeks old. I turned up my pump to 2700 rpm this morning and plan to leave it on for 2 hrs and then lower it. Haven’t hafmd a chance to test my water this morning. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Use your leaf rake to remove the leaves. When you brush each day that will move the dirt around and some will get picked up by the filter.

Do not let the leaves sit on the plaster. They can stain if left long enough.

You can buy a vacuum head without wheels at big box store or pool store if you wish to vacuum up the debris.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can buy a vacuum head without wheels at big box store or pool store if you wish to vacuum up the debris.
So I bought a leaf rake and still found it difficult to get the leaves and dirt. Inquired about the manual vacuum with no wheels. They showed me something similar to this. However, they discouraged me from purchasing it saying it was more for vinyl/above ground pools and that it will be hard to push around the plaster. Is this true?

Milliard Deluxe Pool Vacuum Head/Weighted Triangle Shape/for Inground and Above Ground Swmming Poools https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087LKW29Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_NjAYFbRNAZZ12?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you reduce the suction you should be able to use something like that. But I do not have any experience with them.

The leaves should come up pretty easily with a leaf rake. Sorry to hear you are having issues.

I would not. Cost a lot in electricity and not really help much. Your VS pump only needs to run at an rpm to sufficiently skim the surface. With your winds, that may be hampering that. I know the winds typically subside at night, maybe run the pump at night to be able to skim?

Should I be worried about the plaster co filling my pool immediately after install? Just read the article that it’s best to allow 6hrs for the plaster to harden before filling it with water or else it can cause erosion. They started working on it at 11 and the hose was in the pool by 4.

Whatever you do, don't stop the fill now.......that's not good. Do you have reason to believe the builder doesn't know what he is doing?
It’s already been filled. It will be 3 weeks on Sunday. PB start up instructions were basic. It’s white plaster. They only came out to show how the equipment works, started it up and put in the chemicals in one day and left the pool to me. Already seeing cracks and deterioration of the grout between the coping stones. Told PB and said he would fix it but most likely will not be happy about the color variation of the grout and nothing to prevent the cracks. Says he’s seen it in his own pool. I heard water can get into the cracks and compromise the integrity of the gunite and the cold joint needs to be repaired. Thoughts?

Hi,
I’ve noticed a brownish yellow stain in the shallow end of my pool. It’s been there for a week. Tried brushing, vit c and chlorine tab rub and still won’t come off. It’s been super windy for the past week and thought it was due to a leaves settling at the bottom when I have my solar cover on. Any advice?

Attachments

• D0EE4666-A801-4033-9BA6-2B08AC306056.jpeg
    D0EE4666-A801-4033-9BA6-2B08AC306056.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 227B1A2D-646D-4F9C-99D3-31CE4636B735.jpeg
    227B1A2D-646D-4F9C-99D3-31CE4636B735.jpeg
    158.1 KB · Views: 5
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.