Pool specs ok?

May 22, 2016
Ohio
Ok here is where the pool is at this point. Using taylor water test kit.
Fc 10
Br 10
Ph darker then 7.5 but not 7.8 on the scale so 7.7ish?
Ta 80
Hardness. 90
Cya 55.

After cleaning and shocking pool last Tuesday I used clairifier on Sunday. Some time around Friday I put a few 3" tabs in and by this Tuesday ca was climbing 80 maybe 90. So I drained some water and refilled. So readings at the top were just done. Water had look good since day one. Was a little cloudy after shock, Thats why I used clairifier so it would all settle and vacuum easier.
What do you think. Am I heading in the right direction?20190530_170344.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure what CA is supposed to be... CYA or in other words stabilizer?

If your using pucks, realize your adding stabilizer to the water with each and every puck. Before long, the CYA will be so high that the chlorine will not be able to have much if any of an effect on the pool. You need stabilizer to keep the sun from killing off the chlorine super fast, but you also need to watch stabilizer levels do not get too high... as the level of the stablizer goes up it reduces the effectiveness of the chlorine (at the trade off that the chlorine will last much longer).

Short and sweet... your stabilizer levels are going to get too high, your pucks will stop sanitizing the pool, and it will turn green. Unless you regularly drain and replace water. But if not, you may want to consider another form of chlorination. Otherwise the pool and the numbers look pretty decent.

What type of filter?

You should clean your filter after using clarifier.

I removed the pucks and will be looking for another form of chlorine for sure. Last year toward the end of the season I was struggling with high cya. I forgot all about that or I wouldn't have bought another 50lbs duh!
And yes I vacuumed and backwash after the clairifier treatment

You can use the pucks until your CYA hits a suitable range. I keep mine between 20-40, people in brighter sunnier areas where their pool gets higher heat and longer exposure to the sun usually keep their CYA levels a bit higher.

Google FC CYA chart and you'll find a nice little chart showing what your minimum chlorine levels and shock levels are for a given CYA. 40-50 would probably be a nice number for you. I run mine closer to 20 because we typically don't get a lot of long, hot sunny stretches up here in PA. The main thing is that you don't want it to drift too high. Once you start heading north of 60 CYA, I'd look at another product that doesn't contain CYA for chlorinating like liquid chlorine (bleach, or liquid pool shock) or cal-hypo (watch the added calcium hardness).

Reactions: gunslinger613
You can use the pucks until your CYA hits a suitable range. I keep mine between 20-40, people in brighter sunnier areas where their pool gets higher heat and longer exposure to the sun usually keep their CYA levels a bit higher.

Google FC CYA chart and you'll find a nice little chart showing what your minimum chlorine levels and shock levels are for a given CYA. 40-50 would probably be a nice number for you. I run mine closer to 20 because we typically don't get a lot of long, hot sunny stretches up here in PA. The main thing is that you don't want it to drift too high. Once you start heading north of 60 CYA, I'd look at another product that doesn't contain CYA for chlorinating like liquid chlorine (bleach, or liquid pool shock) or cal-hypo (watch the added calcium hardness).
Ok good to know. I get lots of sun 1130am to sunset. Just waiting for that to happen, there has been a lot of on and off showers the past week

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.