Pool Speaker Recommendations :)

I am sure there are some out there however search thru the forums as there are lots of threads regarding speaker installations. I am old school and believe in hard wiring speakers. Hopefully some others with BT experience will chime in. Hope this helps:cheers:

Yes and no. The bose system i linked you do will allow you to play anything on your phone. It is very similar to sonos. Sonos doesn't make an outdoor speaker. I looked at outdoor speakers for months and the bose 251 was the best i found. I have mine hard wired to a sonos connect amp. Works really well plenty loud and will play pandora, spotify, xm, and more. It also plays songs on my phone as well as the music library i have setup in my house. I don't think you will find any hardwired speakers that are bluetooth only.
Yes! He wants to hard wire them in. Can you have blue tooth hard wired speakers?

Reactions: floridapoolfan
+1 for hardwired.

My phone sends music to my speakers via a computer connected to the receiver, so I can't weigh in on these other solutions. But I just wanted to add this. I put my two outdoor speakers in the obvious place: under the eves, pointed at the pool. Unfortunately for me, the table at which everyone sits is between the speakers and the pool. Nice dinner music ambiance, right? Nope. Even my younger guests want the volume so low (so they can yack to each other while at the table), that the music has no impact at the pool. So my speaker placement advice is to put them where they won't bother anyone, including the neighbors. I think the ultimate solution is to have many, smaller speakers, placed around the pool, rather than just two blasting the pool from just one side. That way, the volume can be lower, but the actual coverage in and around the pool will be better. That might mean waterproof speakers that can be hung on a fence or placed in landscaping. Speaker wire can be run on top of the landscaping, with or without enclosing conduit, so a "surround sound" install might not be as bad as it sounds. There's even ways to get under a concrete walkway if you have to. And if the smaller speaker idea doesn't satisfy the need for big bass, they have subwoofers that can go on, or even under ground (yep, buried). Some that look like rocks!

It's how I'll do it "next time."

+ 1 from above. That right there points to why I always say there should be multiple zones of music outside if u have a pool. Pool zone with multiple rock speakers or better yet an array which are tiny speakers but u use a bunch of them. And then a zone for sitting eating areas so u can play them lower when people gather.

We we just did a job that had 2 eating areas. A raised porch and a lower bar area. There was also the pool. We did 3 zones so each could be volume controlled. The pool has rocks. The bar area has rocks cause it’s uncovered and the raised porch has the typical speakers mounted to the house. They were really happy after thier first party. Kids in pool blasting the music bitcthe people in ur bar and patio area could have diff music lower and not have rocks deal with the pool music.

- - - Updated - - -

You mention next time dirk. Look at the nuvo array setup. It’s half the price of an array from Russound and sonanace and just as good. The sub is a full burial with a mushroom type design. U can run 8 speakers and 1 sub with a 100 watt amp thst is stable down to 4 ohm which are cheap.

Im ending up with 6 and 1 amp for my layout. Triad speakers speced my space with 8 bit I just think it’s overkill. So I’m going with 6.

+1 for hardwired.

My phone sends music to my speakers via a computer connected to the receiver, so I can't weigh in on these other solutions. But I just wanted to add this. I put my two outdoor speakers in the obvious place: under the eves, pointed at the pool. Unfortunately for me, the table at which everyone sits is between the speakers and the pool. Nice dinner music ambiance, right? Nope. Even my younger guests want the volume so low (so they can yack to each other while at the table), that the music has no impact at the pool. So my speaker placement advice is to put them where they won't bother anyone, including the neighbors. I think the ultimate solution is to have many, smaller speakers, placed around the pool, rather than just two blasting the pool from just one side. That way, the volume can be lower, but the actual coverage in and around the pool will be better. That might mean waterproof speakers that can be hung on a fence or placed in landscaping. Speaker wire can be run on top of the landscaping, with or without enclosing conduit, so a "surround sound" install might not be as bad as it sounds. There's even ways to get under a concrete walkway if you have to. And if the smaller speaker idea doesn't satisfy the need for big bass, they have subwoofer and can go on, or even under ground (yep, buried). Some that look like rocks!

It's how I'll do it "next time."

I'd second hard wiring your speakers, but it seems you might already be heading that route? I went with yamaha all weather speakers (NS-AW592 - Overview - Speakers - Audio Visual - Products - Yamaha - United States) with two mounted under the patio cover and two under the eaves at the pool. Its more than loud enough, but your lay out may vary. For my setup I hardwired the speakers to my home amplifier which I then added a google chromecast to the second zone for wirelessly playing songs via phone while out at the pool. We mostly use Pandora, but works equally well for listening to the baseball game while lounging in the pool as well. If you're starting from scratch, I'd go with as many hardwired speakers as you think you'll need and wire them back to a receiver in the house or protected area that you can link to with bluetooth. Most modern A/V receivers have it built in, or add on modules are cheap, like google chromecast.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I agree with the B&W AM1, i will have 3 pairs connected to my Marantz 7703 and B&K amp.
The marantz is very easy to control with my phone/iPad and can manage up to 3 distinct zones.
You can play music from Pandora, iHeart radio, Tidal and so many other choices.
The sound from the B&W is stunning and it can be very loud if your neighbor will allow it... lol

SO here is my set up.
1. Wire- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071W2DRVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2- 4 Rock Speakers Niles--- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008D70XE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
3. AMP-https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AR0A3V4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
4. Speaker Selector https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2GAZI4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
5. Sonus Connect https://www.amazon.com/Sonos-Wireless-Receiver-Component-Streaming/dp/B001CROHX6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1528745099&sr=1-3&keywords=sonos+connect

Quick Review-
Crown Amp can be bridged.
Each speaker is on its own zone. I did this so I can control the volumn of each speaker
Sonus Connect- Use this for Spotify control from my phone.
Nile Speakers- The best sounding rock speakers out there for the price. Cant go wrong with these and are built to last.

Just remember to watch ur length runs and gauge wire u use. There is loss over greater distances. U spec all jobs at 14/2 regardless. Once runs get over 100 feet we spec 12/2. We don’t use direct burial cause we always run conduit and break out each speaker into a splice box and keep moving down the property or around it. That way we can repull but the splice boxes allow us to pull out that speaker drop in that area.

It it will be documented in my nuvo thread once I do my array around the pool.

Jim

My setup is simple. I have a full size echo plugged in on the porch. It is plenty loud to hear throughout the yard, and the sound isn't bad (not the best, but not bad for the price). Of course, I like it mostly for its simplicity (I just say "Alexa, play ...").

I'm putting a new outdoor tv up though, so I may be looking for a better setup. TV speakers are notoriously bad, and it's even worse outside. I spend my Saturdays in the Fall watching football (American) by (and in) the pool. Usually it starts getting a little cold in Mid-October, but I'm thinking I can get through most of the season now that I have a heater.

Hey Jim,
Did you ever post the Nuevo thread? Sounds very interesting.
Just remember to watch ur length runs and gauge wire u use. There is loss over greater distances. U spec all jobs at 14/2 regardless. Once runs get over 100 feet we spec 12/2. We don’t use direct burial cause we always run conduit and break out each speaker into a splice box and keep moving down the property or around it. That way we can repull but the splice boxes allow us to pull out that speaker drop in that area.

It it will be documented in my nuvo thread once I do my array around the pool.

Jim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.