pool spa combo closing question

Maresa

Aug 28, 2014
Haverhill, Mass
We have always had a pool service open and close our pool/spa. This year (today actually!) they did not show up for their appointment. They are not answering phones and won't be in the office for at least two days. Everyone else is so booked out. Now hubby is scrambling with trying to figure out how to do it himself. There are plenty of sites on the internet that tell how to do a basic pool closing, but our system is complicated because of the attached spa. He can't figure out how to drain the spa...do you do that first or do the pool first. And how do you air lock them? And at what point would you drain the heater? Thanks so much. (Maybe this is a blessing in disguise - that if we get this figured out this year we can save money each year. Right now it almost feels like a crisis!)

our system is complicated because of the attached spa. He can't figure out how to drain the spa

You have to tell us what pool/spa controls you have? Is it connected to an automation panel?

...do you do that first or do the pool first.

Drain the spa first as typically it drains into the pool.

And how do you air lock them?

Not sure if you are asking about air locking the spa or everything in general.

You have an air blower? You have winterization plugs?

And at what point would you drain the heater?

After you blow out the lines.

This may help ...

I have a concrete pool with attached spa. The spa is not raised, has jets and a drain. Pool and spa are separated by an opening at water level, I have a single skimmer for everything. No automation controls. I close this way, with the spa first:
  • Drain pool below the jets, which also brings the spa level down to the pool spillover opening.
  • Drain spa fully, pumping water into the pool.
  • I scrub out the spa then blow out & plug the lines.
  • My spa drain is just a suction pipe back to the pump, so i blow this out fully and plug it. I only did this once, because I air-locked it and leave it closed permanently.
  • I then fill the spa up from the pool, to about 18" below coping since I have a safety cover.
  • I then close the pool per TFP process.

Thanks for all the help. This information is slowly taking us closer to feeling we can do this. Please, one more question. Would I turn the Jandy valve to close before attempting to air lock the main drain on the spa?

For a detailed question like that we need to see pics of your equipment, plumbing and valves.

I was asking about the valve to the bottom right of the heater in the picture. It closes the return from the skimmer and the main drain. Sorry, but I do not understand what you mean by the PUMPS in the back.

I don’t have a good idea what that valve does. I need to understand the complete water flow of your system from the suction inlets, into the pumps, though the filter, through the heater, and returns to the pool and spa.

The pics don't show the pumps or filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.