Pool slope 1 to 4 ft beach entry.

May 30, 2021
Fort Mohave, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am currently building my own pool and subbing out a few of the jobs when I can. I drew up plans for a 1 to 4 slope on a beach entry and the shotcrete/gunite phase is already completed.

I am now considering the possibility of pouring concrete to change the slope to a 1 to 6 slope instead. I would do this by adding 4,500 psi concrete with doweled\epoxied in rebar every 24 in corners and on 6 in grid. I would prep existing gunite with bonding slurry.

Does anyone have any experience with a 1 to 4 sloping beach entry?

Is it worth it to change the slope?

Some local municipalities go as far as 1:12 for the slope. I’d check with your town hall to see what’s required by you.

View attachment 383756

I can't tell you how much I wish I would have read that sooner, like before gunite. LOL. The crazy thing is that it passed 2 inspections, the engineer's permitting process, a look by two different pool builders. I don't know why they didn't flag this when I submitted my permits. They would have been cooler if they did. I am probably going to call in a concrete truck and add it my self.

Some local municipalities go as far as 1:12 for the slope. I’d check with your town hall to see what’s required by you.
These plans already were passed by my county, so I doubt they care about it. On the other hand there is the safety factor that concerns me.

Reactions: Newdude
On the other hand there is the safety factor that concerns me.
While searching beach entry codes on this site on your behalf I found one that someone was saying their 1:7 felt awkwardly steep. YMMV / subjective values and all.

I’d build a slope either with scrap lumber or dirt and see what feels right. Don’t forget to imagine the surface being wet/slippery.

These plans already were passed by my county, so I doubt they care about it. On the other hand there is the safety factor that concerns me
I’d check to wherst it’s applicable anyway for liability concerns if anyone ever got hurt.

‘They said I could do something that I really shouldn’t have’ would be iffy at best to argue.

I’d check to wherst it’s applicable anyway for liability concerns if anyone ever got hurt.

‘They said I could do something that I really shouldn’t have’ would be iffy at best to argue.
That is exactly what has me concerned. I'm thinking I will add concrete , rebar, epoxy and bonding slurry. What a pain in the Rear. I also had a pool builder look at it and he said he'd just Pebble Tec the beach and be done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.