Pool slam not seeing much results...

Do you have a SWG ?? Why do you want a CYA of 80 ?? Since you are in the process of cleaning the pool and using a lot of bleach already you don't want to add any CYA at this time. It will only increase the amount of bleach you will go through.

You need to rake and rake and rake. The more stuff you get out the less bleach ($$$) you will need to put in.

Should I still let the FC come down to 10 to get an accurate ph reading before continuing?

Wait.... Did you confirm first what your pH is since you reported it was 7.2 before SLAM'ing and 7.2 after starting the SLAM? Did you let the FC drop? You need to confirm this as chlorine is less effective with a very low pH as Jason pointed out previously.

You are obviously spinning and burning rubber. If you did not cover the pool, make sure you do that at the end of closing so you won't be frustrated with blind raking of leaves n debris. You will never buy enough chlorine to SLAM with all that junk in your pool.

If you add chlorine before going to work or for some reason don't add for quite a few hours your FC might drop below 10 on it's own trying to digest the stuff in your pool and you can test pH then if you're FC is below 10.

I know you are getting a lot of advice, and some of us are emphasizing different parts of the slam, however this is what is important:

1. Re-test the CYA. If it is over 40 then you will need to do a partial drain and refill to bring the CYA down to 30. After refilling re-test the CYA and pH and report results here. Do not slam while draining and refilling the pool.
2. Remove as much debris (leaves) from the pool as you can. Blind rake until you don't scoop up anything else, then vacuum. Brush the pool daily. This can be done while the slam is in progress.
3. Keep the pool at slam level as often as you can. Test every couple of hours on your days off. On days you work test 1st thing in the morning and then directly after work, and once before bedtime.

I thought that since swg pools operate at a high cya that I should slam at a high cya...is this not the case? When I looked in pool school, under cya chart it said 60ppm was not recommended so i figured it needed to be above that. What is the lowest cya level I can use in the slam process? Also I will definitely cover the pool this winter, I have surely learned my lesson.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you have a SWG it would be a good idea to add that to your signature so we know.

The lower the CYA level the lower the FC level of bleach you need to maintain to kill off algae and clean the water. The lower the FC level of bleach the less bleach ($$$) you need to add. Less bleach, less money spent doing the same cleaning job. Once the pool water is clean and clear and you pass the OCLT, THEN you raise the CYA level up and test and adjust the other levels of your water.

CYA around 30 is just about ideal for SLAMing. CYA lower than that means too much chlorine lost to sunlight. But it isn't worth lowering CYA just to SLAM. Lower CYA before SLAMing if you will be lowering CYA anyway. There is no point in lowering CYA to SLAM if you are just going to raise it up again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.