Pool Slam adjusting Chemicals

AlexF

Aug 15, 2019
NJ
Hello,
So I am having a little trouble with a cloudy pool and slightly green film on bottom of pool.
I was all fine until some really hot weather and rain. I really never had an issue until I used these 3" Pucks so Im also curious if there is a Chlorine lock somehow. just at a loss....Tried clarifier but didnt do much, back washing every day sometimes twice a day.

Its an above ground pool vinyl liner 26,500 gal. and chlorine pool
Water Temp 82 degrees
Sand Filter running at least 12 hours a day

Just did a test and came back with:
PH 7.5
Total Alkalinity 24
Free Chlorine 7.7
Total Chlorine 7.7
CYA 78
Hardness 97

I know the levels are a little low in some areas like TA, and Hardness. But question is do I SLAM to clear the water? And do I correct the levels before a SLAM?

Thank you,
AF

Alex, welcome to TFP! :wave: Chlorine lock is really a pool store myth, nothing to be concerned about. I would also avoid adding any pool store potions like clarifiers or others. Liquid chlorine (aka regular bleach) is what you need, but only in the correct amount. FC/CYA Levels

To clear a cloudy/green pool of algae, we follow the SLAM Process. It works great, but yo also need a TF-100 tes kit (or Taylor K-2006C). See Test Kits Compared. Avoid free store testing (or strips) as they are never accurate enough for what you need. But with the right test kit, follow that SLAM page and you'll do fine.

Alex, welcome to TFP! :wave: Chlorine lock is really a pool store myth, nothing to be concerned about. I would also avoid adding any pool store potions like clarifiers or others. Liquid chlorine (aka regular bleach) is what you need, but only in the correct amount. FC/CYA Levels

To clear a cloudy/green pool of algae, we follow the SLAM Process. It works great, but yo also need a TF-100 tes kit (or Taylor K-2006C). See Test Kits Compared. Avoid free store testing (or strips) as they are never accurate enough for what you need. But with the right test kit, follow that SLAM page and you'll do fine.

Awesome thank you for the quick reply!!!
I will certainly avoid the store testing and potions, ordering my own kit. I relied on test strips but at this point I probably need accuracy. Do I try and correct all the chemicals first or just go for the SLAM? And do I wait for the kit or is there something that I can do to hold down the fort? Like Is there a certain amount of bleach I can add for the time being until kit comes.

AF

Do I try and correct all the chemicals first or just go for the SLAM? And do I wait for the kit or is there something that I can do to hold down the fort? Like Is there a certain amount of bleach I can add for the time being until kit comes.
A little patience is required right now until you get the right test kit. You don't want to waste chemials or your time. While waiting for the kit, read-up on that SLAM page and begin using the PoolMath tool (or APP) so you can load your pool info and understand how that calculator works. It's a great tool and will show what how much of a product to add. Begin looking for good places to get chlorine/regular bleach. A pool your size you should be fine adding about 1 gal of 10% bleach per day for now just to help keep everything fairly stable.

When your kit arrives, post a full set of reaults and we'll be glad to coach you through the SLAM Process.

Welcome to TFP!
Great group here at TFP! I swear someone is online 24/7 to help out.?

I suggest the TF100 and the speed stir from tftestkits.net. speed stir seems easier to me instead of swirling and dropping.

Yes, TF100 and SLAM. You'll have it licked in no time....Forget the junk in the pool store, they want you on the edge and always coming back to buy more stuff....Clarifiers, ugh. Algaecide, not. Focculents, meh....and the darn 3-inch "stabilized" tabs will cause heartache.... sooner or later you'll have waaaaaay too much Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer) and then a whole new set of problems. I slammed about 8 weeks ago and my salt-water pool has been PERFECT AND MAINTENANCE FREE since. Best summer ever. All I ever add is a little Muriatic acid to adjust the pH.

yeah... the weather was hot then lots of rain but I think where things started to go down real fast was those 3" tablets.
My CYA seems to be high just going off strips and pool store test but got my TF100 today so I should have the proper reading to post up later today and start the Slam process. those water has become worse and more green. Can't see the bottom now. I did replace the sand and also added a little of DE and emptied out maybe 10% of water. Might need to empty a little more but will see after the tests being posted and what you guys think.

Thanks for all the help and comments so far.
AF

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.