Pool size

Jan 27, 2018
Manalapan
Is 36x18 freeform pool considered small? I have a 2 acre lot so space is not a constraint, was wondering if I should go for a 42×20 Pool for an extra 2000$$

Again I don't want to spend the extra 2k if 36×18 Is plenty pool. Kind of concerned that the pool will really look small wrt to my home (5500 sq ft) and yard.

Appreciate your input

Thx!

I have a 36 x 16 rectangular pool. It is not small, but if I had the space I would take the extra footage for $2,000 for sure. One thing you should consider, however, is that the $2,000 is only the beginning. The larger pool will require more of "everything." What part of "everything" matters most depends partly on where you live. For instance, in California, we need to worry about droughts, and the larger pool will evaporate more water. If water is being rationed, you may not be able to get the water from the city and have to have it trucked in. In some parts of the country, heat is a major issue, and a larger pool requires more heat. No matter where you are, it will require more chemicals, maintenance, etc. But still, if I had two acres, I expect I would get the larger pool.

When it comes to pools, IMO, bigger is always better (to a point). A freeform pool will be smaller than a rectangular pool of the same dimension. I have a 40X24 rectangular pool and I have 2 acres as well. While it IS a big pool, I would have gone for an even larger one. There's really no way to make a pool larger once in goes into the ground.

I agree on larger in this case. Our pool is also 18x38 (684 sf) but is rectangular and does not feel small. I would have gone several more feet in length though if the space allowed, to allow for a larger diving well or maybe 9’ vs 8.5’. We are on 1 acre.

Extra surface area would increase heating costs some.

You can help us help you.....................use something like water hoses or a bright rope to lay out the pool where you are thinking of putting it. Get up high (ladder or second story window) to take a pic. That will really show us what you are working with.

It will also be helpful to know what extra features you will be adding so we will know how they impact the use of the pool.

Kim:kim:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone post their regret of getting a bigger pool. Most regret choosing smaller.

I would go for the biggest you can comfortably fit & afford.

What helped me was measuring it out using rooms in my home. It gave me a better idea of the true size of the pool. I originally spec’d out 22 x 50 and it looked tiny using cones in the yard. But when I measured out 18 1/2 by 42 using rooms in the house, I got a good idea of how big it was going to be.

The free-form pool in my sigline pics is roughly 42x22 for size reference. We are SOOOO happy we increased the size the day of the dig from 38x18.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is 36x18 freeform pool considered small? I have a 2 acre lot so space is not a constraint, was wondering if I should go for a 42×20 Pool for an extra 2000$$

Again I don't want to spend the extra 2k if 36×18 Is plenty pool. Kind of concerned that the pool will really look small wrt to my home (5500 sq ft) and yard.

I don't think a 36x18 is small at all. But, if you have the room and want to spend the extra $, then go for it.

Yes it is a good suggestion and i actually used that technique when I was trying to figure out the size of the patio. One caveat I have run into with this approach is that anything outdoors appears to be lot smaller given that your line of sight is either from your 2nd floor or from far end of the yard, neighbors house etc .

[URL="https://www.troublefreepool.com/members/120737-Esloser" said:
Esloser[/URL];120737]
Yes it is a good suggestion and i actually used that technique when I was trying to figure out the size of the patio. One caveat I have run into with this approach is that anything outdoors appears to be lot smaller given that your line of sight is either from your 2nd floor or from far end of the yard, neighbors house etc .

- - - Updated - - -

Nice design! I would go with the bigger size for sure. I would also push the decking on the back side out some to help keep lawn stuff from getting into the pool when you mow.

What state are you in?

Kim:kim:

Central NJ, Freehold / Manalapan to be precise.

I don't think a 36x18 is small at all. But, if you have the room and want to spend the extra $, then go for it.

I have the room as the pics indicate, regrading spending the extra 2K as most of us I dont want to, but I think my engineer was saying the larger pool would look as if its belongs. He also mentioned given that I have a large patio around it, I should be fine.

I am hesitantly leaning towards a larger pool ..

For the pool spec, - SWG, vinyl pool with concrete walls, 1.5 HP single speed pump, gas heater

For a 36X18 pool, what are the avg maintenance costs if one does it by themselves? Anyone know how much additional would be my maintenance for the larger pool?

I have the room as the pics indicate, regrading spending the extra 2K as most of us I dont want to, but I think my engineer was saying the larger pool would look as if its belongs. He also mentioned given that I have a large patio around it, I should be fine.

I am hesitantly leaning towards a larger pool ..

For the pool spec, - SWG, vinyl pool with concrete walls, 1.5 HP single speed pump, gas heater

For a 36X18 pool, what are the avg maintenance costs if one does it by themselves? Anyone know how much additional would be my maintenance for the larger pool?

Maintenance costs are minimal with saltwater pools. As long as you keep your levels correctly you can get away with a couple of hundred/season or less in chemicals. Also it costs me $300 to have the pool professionally closed in the winter. To go a little larger is a negligible amount of additional seasonal costs.

For your size pool I think you need a 3hp variable speed pump. Single speed and variable speed are frequently the same net price due to utility rebates on variable speed pumps ($400 for me). Any water features? Are you going to heat it? I would also price out gunite/plaster pools. Are you getting automation?

I am hesitantly leaning towards a larger pool .. (42'x2'0 vs 36'x18')

I'd guess around 15-20% bigger pool depending on actual shape/ volume. You would pay more to heat it, additional chemical usage as needed, electrical for SWG. pump run time to make the chlorine. All would go up by that ratio.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.