Pool shows no FC

OK, ordering a new test kit right now lol and I will put a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine in my pool tonight and tomorrow night..please correct me if I’m wrong though on 1 gallon?! This thread is saying one gal basically equals 4 ppm for my 23k gal pool.. do I have that right? I doubt my test kit will be here by Friday and we will be leaving out of town that afternoon. That being said (my last I think)!! question is since I have to go out of town Friday afternoon and won’t be back until Monday how much chlorine should I add before we leave since we won’t be back until Monday? and my CYA levels are still not right they are still probably at a five or at a 15 at Best. Will probably have to adjust my cya next week..
Yes, you are correct. Sorry, I didn’t see that you mentioned the percentage. If your FC is currently zero, it would take a little over a gallon to get it around 5ppm. But I don’t know what’s lurking in there so it could get consumed pretty quickly. Soooo glad you’re ordering your test kit lol it’s going to make your life so much easier!

Last edited:
Reactions: newdude
Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing you help without the need to ask you each time.
Be specific. Add your NEW test kit info, even though you don't have it yet.
See mine and others for inspiration.

In your absence and since your CYA is low, you can use trichlor tablets/pucks while away for the 3 day weekend.
Suggest you use a floating dispenser instead of your inline puck chlorinator.
Also, add a gallon or two of liquid chlorine right before you leave.

And stay out of the pool store for any testing. Their inaccurate testing will only further confuse the issue.
Trust your testing.
Have a read thru Extended Test Kit Directions as a refresher on testing.

23,000 gallon vinyl liner Inground pool. Chlorine pool not salt. Opened pool a few weeks ago, added 2.5 lbs stabilizer.. got my test kit tf pro today still reading below lowest reading applicable on kit- approx 15-25.. adding 2.5 lbs stabilizer in a sock now as I speak. Almost dissolved (granular)
FC has been at a zero consistently since pool opened and turned clear and blue. No issues with clarity for weeks but adding at least a gallon LC daily and not just not holding FC overnight. FC this morning was 0 after adding 2 gallons Friday night and 1 gallon last night. Ph and alkalinity are within range. 2 questions..

1. How long to wait to test cya levels after stabilizer is completely dissolved?
2. How long before I can add liquid chlorine after stabilizer is dissolved?

Follow the SLAM Process. Read the article.
No need to wait on chlorine with stabilizer. Add it now to SLAM level FC. Assume the CYA you are adding is in the pool and additive to what you added before.