Pool shock recommendations

Jun 4, 2018
Cerritos, CA
Since I purchased the house last year, I have been using Leslie's Pool product such as Leslie's Pool Shock "Fresh and Clear".

However last month I noticed little green algae on the wall. I went to the store and they told me that my phosphate is too high. Then purchased the Phosphate reducer. Issue is corrected.
My attention is to try other brand since Leslie brand was not killed algae/not effective for me. Should I switch to Clorox Pool&Spa Shock Xtra blue from Costco? However, I heard that it contains small copper (not sure if Leslie also?). It will stain the pool if weekly used.

Now I am confused. Which other shock products that I could use without copper? Or my perspective about all of this is not correct?

Thank you.

If you read little bite on this website,
you need to use bleach or SWG.
You have to have good test kit like Taylor 2006
and you need to know what is your CYA, and you have to keep CYA/Free Ch ratio as required,

If you keep maintain this simple steps, you will not visit pool stores any more, and you will see no need Phosphate treatments, etc ,etc, etc.

Since i found and follow this site
i only bought bleach and MAcid. Never seen algae or something else in the pool.

Your pool probably has very high CYA because of all the powdered shocks you have added, and if you use chlorine tablets to keep your pool clean, that will add CYA as well, with EVERY dosage. That 's why we recommend that you use liquid chlorine only. It does not contain any CYA. All solid forms of chlorine (powdered shocks, tablets, granules) contain either CYA or calcium in them and will raise those levels very quickly without you realizing it. Once they get really high (especially CYA), it is very difficult to manage your pool because you need a very high level of chlorine to do the same job as before. Sticking with liquid chlorine will keep your FC target from always moving because your CYA will pretty much stay constant, so you'll just dose up to a certain PPM every day and be sure that you are covered.

Phosphate is just algae food. The problem is you didn't have enough chlorine in the pool to stop algae from growing in the first place. In a properly maintained pool phosphates doesn't matter since you should never get algae.
Your chlorine level (FC) needs to be balanced with your CYA level. Too little FC to CYA and algae forms since the CYA will "hold on" to the chlorine and not let it work. To much and the sun burns off the FC because the CYA cant "hold on" to protect the FC. This is why you need a good test kit to measure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.