Pool service company disaster. What should I do?

08/05 Update.

CYA is still at ~300 (Measured with Taylor K2006 at 1:3 dilution).
The water is still clean.

The pool service company came this morning and they said that the color on the strip (!) has changed a bit. Yes, they measured it with strips.

They threw another bag of the BIo-Active product in the water and asked me to wait another week.
The guy also mentioned, "If we can get the CYA to 150 we should be good. That's the level most people around here have".
I advised the CYA should be around 40.

Long story short - you were right: the Bio-Active product is useless.

• Sad
Reactions: Newdude
Ok back to our regular scheduled program after some water info from california. Lol

cya still there. The magic chemical seems to be losing the battle against the powerful but a “bit less colorful on the stick”.

I can’t wait to see how this all ends. Who will prevail. The cya . . . Who knows tune in tomorrow. Same cya time same cya channel.

Long story short - you were right: the Bio-Active product is useless
It has helped members in the past. Probably at a 1 out of 10 ratio. Just enough that it doesn’t get completely dismissed as an impossibility, but still not likely to help. But Hey !!! Maybe they’ll all be more likely to listen to you now. Will be fun how you know more than them all with 25 years less experience. Look at you go!!

Just an fyi. This guy got fined and charged with jail time for collecting rainwater. Oregon decided it is considered their water and he was stealing it! Oregon Man Sentenced to 30 Days in Jail -- for Collecting Rainwater on His Property | Regulatory Transparency Project
I would be loathe to replace the water for a number of reasons. Out here we live in an environment where neighbors call the police on kids running a slip and slide in their own backyard. I wish that was an exaggeration or fabrication, but it happened to us when a nosy neighbor followed the wetness in the gutter to the property. Also, water can be very expensive with penalties attached for using over a baseline amount or for failing to meet your mandatory 10% reduction.

Filling a 20,000 gallon pool uses as much water as our household would normally take 6 months to use. I've toyed with directing all the raingutters into the pool and use that to keep the salt buildup to a minimum. This last year we got 7 inches of rain, so that would have given me about 11,500 gallons of fresh fill.

The city doesn't care that we've cut the water use on this property by over 90% from the previous owners. Every time they declare a drought you have to cut the same as the neighbor who's still using ten times as much as you do.

Holy buckets! $600 a month?? Our last house was on public water and the water bill was like $30 - $40 a month. The new house has a well so I've forgotten all about water bills.

I would be loathe to replace the water for a number of reasons. Out here we live in an environment where neighbors call the police on kids running a slip and slide in their own backyard. I wish that was an exaggeration or fabrication, but it happened to us when a nosy neighbor followed the wetness in the gutter to the property. Also, water can be very expensive with penalties attached for using over a baseline amount or for failing to meet your mandatory 10% reduction.

Filling a 20,000 gallon pool uses as much water as our household would normally take 6 months to use. I've toyed with directing all the raingutters into the pool and use that to keep the salt buildup to a minimum. This last year we got 7 inches of rain, so that would have given me about 11,500 gallons of fresh fill.

The city doesn't care that we've cut the water use on this property by over 90% from the previous owners. Every time they declare a drought you have to cut the same as the neighbor who's still using ten times as much as you do.
I'd check local ordinance, I believe from our time in Upland, CA years ago there were rules against catching rain water. IIRC, there was a large new story from about 10 or so years ago of someone that was fined for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
San Jose here. Household of 3. My bill is $80/month in the summer and refilling my pool with 16,000 gallons only added about $80 to the bill.

I can't imagine spending $600 per month. That's some folks entire mortgage payment. Must be nice to be able to drop that kind of money into the garden every month.

I can't imagine spending $600 per month. That's some folks entire mortgage payment. Must be nice to be able to drop that kind of money into the garden every month
Everybody just gets used to how it is by them. If it isn’t the water bill it’s the heating bill, the electric bill or the property tax bill. Or some combination of the 4. Lol. Nobody blinks and it is what it is. :)

Reactions: BenB
Everybody just gets used to how it is by them. If it isn’t the water bill it’s the heating bill, the electric bill or the property tax bill. Or some combination of the 4. Lol. Nobody blinks and it is what it is. :)

When I worked for PG&E I went to San Francisco a couple times. I spoke with one of the secretaries there that told me when you live in SF you are just resigned that 90% of your income is going to your house. Sad.

Reactions: Newdude
San Jose here. Household of 3. My bill is $80/month in the summer and refilling my pool with 16,000 gallons only added about $80 to the bill.

I can't imagine spending $600 per month. That's some folks entire mortgage payment. Must be nice to be able to drop that kind of money into the garden every month.
It was definitely sticker shock. Moved from a smaller house with a small yard in mountain view. I think my water bill was $80 each month. Moved to a huge house on a 1 acre lot in a very expensive town on the peninsula and got a $500 electrical bill and at first a $1k water bill.
Got the electricity down to $250 a month and water peaks for two months in the summer at $600 and about $150-200 in the winter. It's the tiered system, once you're in the third tier water gets expensive as....

• Wow
Reactions: ChiknNutz
08/05 Update.

CYA is still at ~300 (Measured with Taylor K2006 at 1:3 dilution).
The water is still clean.

The pool service company came this morning and they said that the color on the strip (!) has changed a bit. Yes, they measured it with strips.

They threw another bag of the BIo-Active product in the water and asked me to wait another week.
The guy also mentioned, "If we can get the CYA to 150 we should be good. That's the level most people around here have".
I advised the CYA should be around 40.

Long story short - you were right: the Bio-Active product is useless.
What was FC?
I suspect the water will continue being clean, seems like it's been like this for a long time.

If it's clean, does it really matter? Is it unsafe to swim in?

Update: the pool company is now draining part of the water and refilling.

Yesterday, I measured the following values:
- FC: 9
- CC: 1.5
- CYA: 240 (measured with a 1:3 dilution)

The decrease of CYA from the original value of 300+ might be due to: measurement error, heavy rainfall, limited effect of the Bio-Active product.

I will take over the maintenance of the pool after they refill.
Is there anything specific I should check or do after they refill the pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.