Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hi all...
We're getting into child drowning season here in Florida, and I'm reviewing our pool safety steps.

We have the self closing pool fence and doors with high handles.

We keep a pool watcher hat handy for any time kids are in the pool area and it's not a one-on-one situation.

We have private swim lessons for the littles starting next month. We are paying; I consider it part of the cost of pool ownership. Our just-turned 4 year old grandson swims like a fish (or turtle, frog, or dolphin, depending on his mood), and we're hoping that we'll have his little sister and cousin well on their way by the end of summer.

What else do you do to keep your littles safe?

We had small, medium and large life vests. No matter who got tired they could suit up in seconds and be back in the pool without a care in the world. 'Puddle jumpers' are way better now for the littles. They are comfy and more likely to be worn when they get a bit tired.

LOVE the pool watcher hat idea !!!

We had small, medium and large life vests. No matter who got tired they could suit up in seconds and be back in the pool without a care in the world. 'Puddle jumpers' are way better now for the littles. They are comfy and more likely to be worn when they get a bit tired.

LOVE the pool watcher hat idea !!!
Yes, the hat helps avoid the "everyone was watching so no one was watching" scenario.

Last edited:
Yes, the hat helps avoid the "everyone was watching so no one was watching scenario."
For larger kids groups with the grandkids and their invites to pool parties, we are looking at a high chair and designated life guard sit on it in rotation. We had 10 kids at one time and I couldn't ever count ten heads at the same time from the porch. The hat is a good idea!!!!

Kids? Heck, what about dad safety? My kids are constantly trying to kill me in my pool. I wake up in the mornings felling like I got hit by a train.

All joking aside- the designated lifeguard is a great idea.

• Haha
Reactions: maxBR
My grandson knows the #1 pool rule is 'there must be an adult watching, or in the pool with you at all times, no exceptions'. He is required to repeat it before each pool session too.

Of course, now I am constantly reminded that I cannot LEAVE the pool because he is in it...or he'll ensure he and all his friends are out and sat on the side until an adult is back to supervise/engage. He's also been in swim lessons since he was barely a year old. Our pool has a diving well, so it's not hard to suddenly find yourself 'over your head'...we do have a rope that we can cordon off the 'shallow' end tho.

The designated adult is a great idea, and one we try to follow all the time too, although we don't have a distinct head-piece ;)

Reactions: Newdude
Of course, now I am constantly reminded that I cannot LEAVE the pool because he is in it...or he'll ensure he and all his friends are out and sat on the side until an adult is back to supervise/engage
Or go back out there to get whatever they forgot, even with you watching, because zero tolerance rules.

I fell victim to my own succes many times as well. Glad to hear it wasn't just me. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love the IDEA of a pool water alarm but just the slightest ripple on the water will set it off so it is almost useless :( Now a gate alarm or even a barrier alert like they use for driveways where if something goes through the beam the alarm sounds.

My Grandson has been taking lessons at Goldfish Swim School for years (it's now part of his physical therapy regimen for his Muscular Dystropy). They have a 'Swimmers Pledge' that they do every year around this time as people are opening their pool. Link below if people have interest - Obviously its a marketing thing too...but even if just the 'pledge' helps reinforce some learning, that may save a life :)

Yes, the hat helps avoid the "everyone was watching so no one was watching scenario."

My grandson knows the #1 pool rule is 'there must be an adult watching, or in the pool with you at all times, no exceptions'. He is required to repeat it before each pool session too.

Of course, now I am constantly reminded that I cannot LEAVE the pool because he is in it...or he'll ensure he and all his friends are out and sat on the side until an adult is back to supervise/engage. He's also been in swim lessons since he was barely a year old. Our pool has a diving well, so it's not hard to suddenly find yourself 'over your head'...we do have a rope that we can cordon off the 'shallow' end tho.

The designated adult is a great idea, and one we try to follow all the time too, although we don't have a distinct head-piece ;)
The whole pool is the deep end for our littles, with the exception of the seating ledge. Learning to swim before they can touch the bottom has made them consider the whole pool as fair game.

Reactions: SJPoe
Never allow kids to swim when the water is not clear to the deepest part.

Train kids to watch each other and report any issues.

Always make sure you know each kid's swimming skill level.
We have a TFP. Kids don't go in unless it's TFP clear!

Reactions: JamesW and kimkats
Hi all...
We're getting into child drowning season here in Florida, and I'm reviewing our pool safety steps.

We have the self closing pool fence and doors with high handles.

We keep a pool watcher hat handy for any time kids are in the pool area and it's not a one-on-one situation.

We have private swim lessons for the littles starting next month. We are paying; I consider it part of the cost of pool ownership. Our just-turned 4 year old grandson swims like a fish (or turtle, frog, or dolphin, depending on his mood), and we're hoping that we'll have his little sister and cousin well on their way by the end of summer.

What else do you do to keep your littles safe?
Here is our routine. Hope it helps; We have 6 grandkids so we put in the auto cover so when the cover is closed we don’t worry about anything. The fence we put in was a fence approved for pools as far as height and not being able to be climbed. The most important part of the fence was that it completely blocks access from the house and patio to the pool. It also has a self closing and locking gate. The lock is one of the ones made for pool gates that is a key lock and a pull up latch that is about 55 inches off the ground so little kids can’t open the gate even if it unlocked. For pool rules, I’m sure there are many good ideas, but the one that my wife and I have done is to say that no one of any age is ever inside the pool area without either my wife or my self inside the pool area as well. The cover plus the fence provides layered protection So if one fails the other protects.

We have a Pool Patrol alarm. Even during storms, no issues so far with false alarms. We will also be installing a Ring doorbell system around the pool. Our rule for our kids is you can't even be on the pool deck without permission. All of our kids have great swimming skills, but still no deck without permission and grown up must be out there.

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.