Pool Rust - What to do?

dehydrogenase

Apr 10, 2022
Canada
I started noticing flakes of rusted metal at the bottom of our pool installed 9 years ago. The pool has always had a SWG system running at 3000 ppm. I showed these pictures at the pool store and they say the flakes are coming from top plates. They are apparently rusting since we are not rinsing the pool after use. Is this even a thing? To be fair I started rinsing the wood deck since the screws are badly oxidized but rinsing the pool, really? The SWG, pump, or water do not appear to be bounded. The electrician did bond (ground?) the heat pump during installation 3 years ago nothing else is bonded. The pool store suggested replacing the top plates which sounds like a relatively cheap and easy job that I can complete in an hour or two. What do you guys think? The rim only seem to have surface rust for now. If I change the top plate I could probably sand out that rust at the same time.

There is also some surface rust beneath the skimmer. I did change the gasket last year after noticing the issue and am now ensuring a few times a year that the screws are really thigh to avoid any water seeping through the gasket. The pool store also mentioned the entire pool may need to be replaced as the rust around the skimmer could suggest more widespread wall rust. That seems like overkill at this stage. I did not notice rust anywhere else on the exterior walls. I am thinking letting the SWG in the basement this year possibly forever and using bleach or pucks moving forward in an attempts to slow down corrosion until I can get things under control. Would a zinc anode in the skimmer basket do anything? What is my best course of action from here? The kids are only 3 and 5 so we are hoping to get as many years as possible out of this pool.

Attachments

• 20220410_150202 (1).jpg
    20220410_150202 (1).jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220410_153848 (1).jpg
    20220410_153848 (1).jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 39
Welcome to the forum.

Rust on above ground pool components will rust regardless if you have raised the salinity the small amount for a SWCG or not. Chlorinated pool water is corrosive.

You must meticulously seal all metal parts during construction and if they become scratched or damaged.

Low pH is the largest contributor to metal damage from pool water.

Rust is like cancer. If you see it on the outside (especially around the skimmer) its wide spread on the inside behind the liner.

• Wow
Reactions: Decoy205
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.