Pool RPM and timer settings

May 26, 2017
West Hills, Ca.
Hello! I have a Pentair SP3400VSP variable speed pump on an in-ground 23k gallon pool (not salt) and it has been set up like this:

9pm-12am
2750rpm
about 4 psi at the DE filter when the DE is fresh (7lbs in 60sqft filter)
80-82 gpm flow rate
filters about 14,400 in 3 hours

12am-3am
2250rpm
about 2psi with fresh DE
60-62 flow rate
filters about 10,800 in 3 hours

So in all, the entire pool gets filtered in one night. I'm about to either drain/refill or RO treat the pool for high CYA (200) and CH (400) levels and I want to know if my pump settings are ok, or need to be re-set to be on longer.

You'll know it's ok when the pool stays clean. :) Seriously, one thing I've learned about pool maintenance over the years is there's no substitute for trial and error when it comes to filtering time. General rule seems to be to turn all the water over at least once a day. I like your idea of running it at night to take advantage of lower electricity rates, but our pool seems to stay cleaner if we run it a few hours during the day.

p.s. 600k is a big honkin' heater!

Seems like excessive run time and excessive RPM, unless you have something that is driving you to this high an RPM.

I've been running mine 8 hours a day at 1200. With balanced CSI, it stays crystal clear. I could probably drop it back to 6 hours and turn up my SWG.

Pool School recommends starting out with 4 hours and going from there; with more to it than that--so read the blurb in this link:

Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Are my psi readings ok for my DE filter? They seem super low, do I need more DE in there? I did 1.25 Lbs per 10sqft for 7.5 lbs. I have heard of adding anywhere between 6lbs and 9 lbs of DE for my 60sqft grids. When closer to 9lbs, I get a psi around 8 when first put in. Thanks!

So in all, the entire pool gets filtered in one night.
1 turnover doesn't mean the entire pool is filtered. It just means that the equivalent volume of water has passed through the filter. Some water twice, some water never.

But despite what you read, turnovers just don't matter in pool maintenance. The only thing that truly matters is that you get enough FC in the pool each day and it is circulated properly which doesn't take much at all to do. If you manually dose, you may only need 30 min of run time a day for just that. All other run time is for aesthetics or heat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.