Pool return jet fitting

Jun 11, 2014
Philly, PA
Hi,

I have noticed my pool circulation seems a little weak. I have a new variable pool pump but my return jets are small with no thread fitting. I ordered a slip fitting that was 1.5 in but it was slightly too big. I tried checking around but no one seems to have anything that can fit into my return fitting.

Any ideas on what I can do? The pool seems to turnover water well but there is no surface water movement and I think I had dead spots on the bottom of the shallow end that isn't getting properly circulated.

The main reason for weak return flow back to the pool is a dirty filter... What is your filter pressure and when was the last time the filter was opened and cleaned?

Circulation is really over rated.. Chemicals in the pool water mix with very little circulation. It is those chemicals that keep your pool clear and sanitized...

Let's see if we can get one of our other members to chime in on your fittings issue...

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you have no fittings in the pipe you will see no water movement at surface. If you have access to calipers or some type of measuring device you can measure the inside of the pipe. There are a few oddball sizes of return fittings and also 1.25 inch fittings as well

I know I've seen fittings with springs to hold them in the wall, but I can't find them.

Waterco has some fittings that look like they would work, but they appear to be only on Australian sites.

If the 1½" slips are just a little too big you could sand them down a little to make them press fit.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thanks for the replies. My water turnover is good but as one of you mention I have no surface water movement. I tried to measure and it seems like the hole is around 1.25 wide. Looking at the fitting I have that is 1.5in I don't think sanding it down would work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.