Woodlands, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Well today is the day, we are resurfacing our pool with pebblesheen and spray on decking.

Looking forward to the process and hoping it goes smoothly. The pool is a SWG so we have to do their normal 30 day start up procedure without the salt and then add after. I’ll probably ask questions of you fine, fine folks so I’ll do my part to post pics along the way and answer anyone else’s questions about the build and process.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 787979CB-EE21-4E4F-9571-77BC4A24DAD7.jpeg
    787979CB-EE21-4E4F-9571-77BC4A24DAD7.jpeg
    920.4 KB · Views: 74
Thanks all! We are going with White diamonds for the pebble tech and the travertine is americano. They didn’t tell us the name of the stacked stone color but just matched it to the travertine.

We are doing a spray on decking over the existing (we have young children and it is less slippery than travertine. Will probably demo and do travertine / pavers at end of life of the spray decking. We haven’t picked the color mix yet, but twill have a creamish white to match the travertine.

@Nikilyn sorry but we don’t know. It’s 28 year old pebble tech from the previous owners

Attachments

• 3D32F311-FFB8-4DD5-94B6-181035CB3060.jpeg
    3D32F311-FFB8-4DD5-94B6-181035CB3060.jpeg
    491.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 56686A9D-2606-48EC-880B-8F9ABA91E97B.jpeg
    56686A9D-2606-48EC-880B-8F9ABA91E97B.jpeg
    762.9 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Looks great! I was wondering if you were redoing the tile too. I was just wondering if it was plater or quartz but you answered with pebble 🙂. I like a traditional deck for many reasons, including they aren’t slippery. They’re cheaper too.

Reactions: WoodlandsJacket
It looks like they are not going to remove the existing pebbletech, and instead apply the new pebblesheen over top of it. Is that normal? Are there any things we should be watching out for in the installation?

The crew has been amazing, so we are really happy with them so far. Definitely will recommend them to friends.

It looks like they are not going to remove the existing pebbletech, and instead apply the new pebblesheen over top of it. Is that normal
I have heard of it being done that way, but not sure I would call it normal. If there are any issues with the existing plaster they will still be there when the new plaster goes on over it. I think personally I would want it all chipped out. Did they give you reason for only doing an overlay on it? Why are you redoing the plaster?

I have heard of it being done that way, but not sure I would call it normal. If there are any issues with the existing plaster they will still be there when the new plaster goes on over it. I think personally I would want it all chipped out. Did they give you reason for only doing an overlay on it? Why are you redoing the plaster?

we had some staining and a few areas where the rebar was rusting through. Plus the pebble tech was almost 30 years old and we figured we would tackle it while we did the coping and new pool waterline tile.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agreed and for 30yr old plaster I would spend the extra money amd have it all chipped out. It's an insurance policy really. If any existing plaster delaminates the new finish is gonna be damaged and patches are difficult and never look good. They are gonna chip out around fittings anyway, less build up with old stuff gone too

Thanks!
Rusted rebar needs to be cut out and the areas patched with hydraulic cement before replastering.
Agreed and for 30yr old plaster I would spend the extra money amd have it all chipped out. It's an insurance policy really. If any existing plaster delaminates the new finish is gonna be damaged and patches are difficult and never look good. They are gonna chip out around fittings anyway, less build up with old stuff gone too

The build is coming along well, we only hit one snag. We had originally planned to have cap tile along the stairs, benches and the beach swimout, but they weren't installed correctly. The pool builder we are working with has been great throughout the process and explained they would make it right, but now I am looking at what the best option is.

We had originally planned for (and had included in the quote / design documents / renderings) using a line of the glass tile (2"x1") that we did the water line tile with all along the edge. It sounds like they want to continue with the 30 day treatment process for the pebblesheen to cure, then come back to cut into the new pebblesheen and add a 2"x2" tile every foot or so).

My wife and I are still talking about the aesthetics, but I am curious if anyone here knows how that might affect (if at all) the longevity of the pebblesheen around where the tile is laid in? We called pebbletec and left a message asking if they recommend this, or if there would be warranty issues but haven't heard back yet.

Filling the pool now:
pool.jpg

I don't think I would let them cut my new plaster. I have heard lots of times how bad it looks when they have to do patches to plaster and would be afraid they would mess something up and need to do repairs.

It sounds like they want to continue with the 30 day treatment process for the pebblesheen to cure, then come back to cut into the new pebblesheen and add a 2"x2" tile every foot or so).

No way do I want a patch job on new plaster. Work out some credit you get for their screwup and move on.

I don't think I would let them cut my new plaster. I have heard lots of times how bad it looks when they have to do patches to plaster and would be afraid they would mess something up and need to do repairs.
No way do I want a patch job on new plaster. Work out some credit you get for their screwup and move on.
Appreciate the responses, it is a bit disappointing because we wanted the tiles for safety (have got kids and expect to have lots of people over post covid) but also don't want to make an alright outcome into a bad one by trying too much and having to patch.

I guess that means it isn't as common as I was hoping for people to add them back in after the fact.. Durn.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.