Pool renovation spillway issue

So I recently had my pool redone from the coping down. I saw the tile guy meticulously go over the spillways in the spa, checking for level between the two spillways and shaping the outer grout line by hand. So I am not saying that they didn't take the care with my pool that I would want. However, the spillways used to, ever so slightly, overhang the pool which caused the water to waterfall into the pool. The way they did it is to make them just like the rest of the wall between pool and spa with no flat outer edge and maybe even a slight downward angle to them. The result is that with a brand new clean filter and max flow, one of them just barely manages to waterfall and the other, which seems to be slightly off level from side to side, just barely manages to waterfall on one side. My major concern is that if the water goes straight down the side it will cause more issues with the tile there than normal and that it may wear out the plaster below far quicker than the rest of the pool. Am I wrong? Or should I call them and ask them to fix it?

bbb,

I agree that to have a nice clean waterfall it needs a small ledge to fall over.

That said, something does not seem right with what you said. With the Intelliflo running at 3400 RPM, or so, it seems to me you should have a ton of water overflowing into your pool.

In the Overflow mode, you should be sucking water from the Pool and returning it to the Spa. So, I suspect besides some tile issue, you have something else going on.

Are you running any other water features besides the Spa? When in the Spa mode, what is the position of your Intake Valve and your Return valve?

Oh, you also might want to keep in mind that although the Spillover effect is cool to look at, it will drive your pH through the roof, as well an any other water features that are constantly being run.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I don't know if there is another issue. Before the renovation for the 5 years I have owned this pool it always waterfalled, but became less and less as the filter came closer to needing cleaning. After the remodel I noticed that the jets weren't even showing a visible stream into the pool so I backwashed the filter... after a few days of brushing I I went ahead and cleaned the grids. At that point, when I turn the return valve to the spa only i get the effect I described above. I even tried 3 different sizes of outlets in the spa and picked the one that provided the greatest flow. I usually have the flow set to take from the pool and return to the spa and you are right on, it has always caused a climb in pH. I have 3 sheer descents that are attached to their own pump. I usually only turn those on when we have a party. So, the question remains, do you think I should ask them to fix the spillovers? And the new question would be, should I not run it the way I have historically? And, am I right that the large volume of water running straight down the wall would wear that section out sooner than normal?

Thanks for the input,
Patrick

Patrick,

Yes, I think if you are not happy you should absolutely ask them to come back to at least see the problem and then discuss what can be done.

Sorry, but I can't say, one way or the other, if water running down the tile will cause any long-term issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.