Pool Remodel in Jacksonville, FL

Crew decided to work on Saturday (Halloween). Made a good start with first part of the tile install.

IMG_5196_zpse0d2am2m.jpg

Up close. No joint grout yet and still with plastic wrapping. Color is highly variable given the amount of direct sun.

IMG_5197_zpsmtsxnhpb.jpg

I went with a pewter color grout to give additional contrast; this tile is a true iridescent with color always seeming to shift depending on the intensity and direction of the sunlight.

IMG_5212_zps6rmw7cgg.jpg

Ended up having a lot of tile left over because the number given to order was for linear feet but I assumed square feet. The plan now is to tile the sun shelfs and the entry steps to use up the excess.

I think just a strip or two to outline them would be pretty. I would not do the whole thing due to what Marla says.......too slippy!

You can always get a pretty table or bench and put the pretty tiles on top of them! Or put them on the side of a planter to accent the pool.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The issue of it being slippery was also a concern of mine. I talked to the LightStream people about this. Although it is hard to tell from the pictures, the iridescent glass tile is actually textured and not smooth. This in combination with the grout line produces a frictional co-efficient that makes it OK. They are also building up the end ledge of the steps and the shelves so there will be additional plaster for grip at these edges.

This is the evolving palette. The new travertine coping blended nicely with original decking. Original pool finish color was going to be Water Blue (bottom) but given the overall hue of the tile have decided to switch to Majestic (middle). Black Sea (top) for comparison is quite dark.

IMG_5235_zpsrykab2le.jpg

The tile install to accent the steps and and sun shelf areas began today. It is slow work and I really have to give the tile guys kudos. There will be a rim of beadcrete finish at the edges and where the water line tile accent ends to offset things a bit.

The main entry step area:
IMG_5231_zpsj3xqhecy.jpg

The lateral sun shelf area:
IMG_5233_zpszdmjaxu0.jpg

Oh my, my, my! Your coping and glass tile are stunning !! I love the Blue Steel Lightstreams tile. It was our first choice, but then we switched to the Peacock. The Blue Steel is so elegant!

We also had a good bit extra due to my poor calculations. (oh gee, too bad - lol!) My favorite places for the tile (now that we're finished) are on the horizontal surfaces like the benches in the spa. We haven't found it to be slippery at all, and I stand on the benches getting in and out of the spa. As you said, the glass is intended for water applications - flooring and walls.

Be careful, though, after the pool is first filled. When you see the shelf and steps with the sun shining through the water onto that tile, it will take your breath away!!! Don't stare for too long - you might get light-headed! Ha ha - just kidding, but you will be so glad you put the extras on those surfaces.

Enjoy!
Suz.

Suz honestly after seeing your pics I kinda of regret not going with Peacock. I had a very hard time deciding between the two.

Kim decided on pewter grout for contrast.

They did not do work today but here is the coloring in the bright mid-noon sun:
image_zpsjwxw5eq2.jpeg

Ha!! I just had the same thought (in reverse) scrolling down your page and seeing your photos again. "Oh geesh, I should have stayed with Blue Steel instead of switching to Peacock!"

I said the same thing to myself when I saw your photos on Wednesday. Yesterday, I kept looking out at the pool second guessing (actually million guessing) my Peacock decision.

But reading right now that YOU were thinking the same thing gave me an ah-ha moment. I think for me, I love all glass tile so much and equally that my favorite is the one I'm looking at right then. Maybe it's the same for you.

I think you will be surprised how different it looks when all is done. The real beauty comes out when everything is finished. I fretted after our glass was first installed. Every time I saw Spool's Blue Steel or Appelbe's glass (I think NPT or Noble Largo or Lagoon - something like that) I cried (never confessed on my thread since everyone already tthought I was neurotic about decisions). The Peacock on the raw gunite affected me like a crass neon sign flashing and taunting me with every look. Thankfully I don't have that kind of money, or I might have ripped it out!!

You just wait until your pool is filled and all is finished around your pool. I think it takes water for the sun to work it's magic on the glass. Blue Steel is the most elegant of all the glass tile IMO. Your coping is stunning with the Blue Steel - the golds in each really complement the other. I think your plaster switch is perfect! And that tiled neck roll on the spa - genius and amazing!! You'll see... jaws will be dropping from all over!

I can't wait to hear your reaction when you see the sun shining through the water onto the steps and sun shelf!

Take care!
Suz.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot the name is Steel Blue for the tile....

The glass tile is beautiful. We used NPT's Arctic Lagoon tile. My only regret is not having more of it or going with LightStream. Both your Blue Steel and Suz's Peacock tile are amazing. Can't wait to see pictures with water.

I think you will be surprised how different it looks when all is done. The real beauty comes out when everything is finished. I fretted after our glass was first installed. Every time I saw Spool's Blue Steel or Appelbe's glass (I think NPT or Noble Largo or Lagoon - something like that) I cried (never confessed on my thread since everyone already tthought I was neurotic about decisions). The Peacock on the raw gunite affected me like a crass neon sign flashing and taunting me with every look. Thankfully I don't have that kind of money, or I might have ripped it out!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.