Pool Remodel - cantilever decking

Oct 31, 2014
Irving/TX
Hello all - my first post although I have enjoyed reading the forum for a few years. I would like to ask for some feedback now that we are going to remodel our pool.

Background is we have a ~25k gallon in-ground pool built in 1992. The decking is concrete cantilever type and is in good condition. Have a few sections of tile that have fallen off and the majority of the tile appears to have been repaired at some point in the past. We have owned the pool for 7 years so I only know the recent history, but appears to be original tile, not sure about the plaster. We plan to retile and plaster, remove the old school metal exit railings and in-wall steps in the deep end and replace with bench style seats. Overall, the pool looks like it's 27 years old and needs a remodel. So far, the tile and plaster feedback from contractors seems to be pretty consistent.

Question is - one contractor said the cause of the tile falling off is the cantilever decking, the decking "floats" and the pool is fixed in the ground. The decking can pressure the tile and so it pops off. He said cantilever decks stopped being installed in the 90's and he wants to cut the decking all around the pool over the pool wall and replace with stone. Will not warranty otherwise. I'm not sure the decking is the problem, I think it is just the age of the pool, but maybe he has a valid point. Has anyone had similar feedback when remodeling or knowledge of cantilever decks and if they are good/bad, keep or fix as suggested? Cutting the deck would be an extra cost I'd like to avoid, but willing to do if required. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

The diagram below shows the proper way cantilevered decking should be installed without the tile touching the deck. There should be an expansion joint between the top of the tile and the deck that is filled with flexible mastic sealer.

Many people do not understand where the gap needs to be and closes the joint with grout or tile.

Find a contractor who understands how a cantilevered deck is constructed and needs to be maintained.

Cantilliver_deck_cracked_bondbeam-916-800-650-80.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.