Pool pump won't start, timer won't start!

mapaloyakwe

Apr 3, 2021
Scottsdale, AZ
Did the squirrels eat my power cables? :)
I have a ground pool.
- a pentair superflo pool pump
- a intermatic pool timer

My pool pump and timer randomly stopped working. I checked the circuit breaker and noticed it was off. I assume it somehow reset from the on the position. Anyways i turned it back on and after tested turning the pool pump on manually. It wouldn't turn on, i also noticed the timer dial was not moving.
Since then i have done a few things to troubleshoot, per the google fools out there :).

- replaced the capacitor on the pool pump with a new one (the old one was from 2011, yikes)
- replaced the motor on the timer -WG1573.5 (since new capacitor did not help, no movement , nothing)
- turned the breaker on/off a couple times
- Im no electrician but bought a multimeter from good 'ol home depot. Tested the contacts to the intermatic timer that go from breaker to timer and the ones going from timer to pump. I did not get a reading for voltage, zero/cero voltage no movement on the needler (it's a digital one)

At this point i'm suspecting an electrical issue:
1. Either breaker is not working right (very unlikely since all other switches on the breaker are fine)
2. or cables from breaker to timer are damaged, (possible squirrel damage)
3. lastly maybe i need to replace the entire intermatic dial (could have failed on me and it's preventing power from breaker)

Any help will be appreciated!

Welcome to TFP :)

did you check the breaker going to your panel? It is the one in your house breaker box bringing power to the pool breaker..

Reactions: mapaloyakwe
Quick update
after looking at some questions on the forum with a similar issue, it turned out my breaker was bad. Picked up a new one from ace hardware, installed it & tested the ends with multimeter but after the pump would not start but at least it was humming. I later installed a new capacitor on the pump & screwed the cover over which fixed the humming.

The pool pump is now running and the dial timer is kicking in fine. EUREKA!!

On another note..
Now of course I have an issue with my pool vacuum :(, it is not vacuuming at all, when i turn the switch on at the dial it makes a slight movement then stops but no suction. Pump is running perfectly, water is shooting out of the jets, waterfall & sprinkler is working as should. Last time this happened a pool guy fixed it & said the root cause was a pebble/rock preventing the pool vacuum from suctioning. I have looked inside the vacuum but not seeing a place that a pebble would be stuck.
I have the XtremepowerUS 75037

Pool vacuum is working too, now! phew! it has been a busy last 4 days working on pool issues.. ;):bounce:
Did some youtube/google searches which helped a bit on the second issue.

It turns i just need to backwash my hoses / skimmer (not sure if i am using the correct terminology). The jandy valvle controlling direction of water flow, yes that one. While the pool pump was running i moved it from one position to another which cleaned out any debris that was stuck in that line. (my valve is not labeled so i just moved it around and then back to the original position - i need to get a label for that valve)

That is what did it!
Good thing i did not call a pool guy for that, saved me $60! whoop whoop! :)

Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.