Pool Pump Wiring

jfenim

Aug 5, 2019
Rhode Island
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hello all,

Just some question about what size and type of wire I need for my pool pump. I have a 16'x32' in ground pool that has been neglected by previous home owner's in the house I moved into (it's a swamp, tadpoles and all). The wiring up to the pool was buried about 1" below the ground surface and there were connections made and just wrapped in tape, most of this wiring is was pulled out and or cut out. I am looking to run a new line to my pump, overall length from my panel to the pump is under 80'. I am replacing the pump so I could go either 110V or 220V. I have a roll leftover 10/2 Romex from a different project that I believe is enough but am wondering if this would be suitable for running the pump. Also if there is any other wiring I would need to run up there, I am guessing I need to run a ground wire up for the pool itself as I believe there was one along with the original wire as well. I plan on running this all underground in PVC conduit so I'm trying to figure out everything I would need in advance. Thanks for your time and effort.

J,

Welcome to TFP,

I think you would be best off to run individual wires and not Romex.. Two hots, a neutral, and an insulated (green) ground wire. This will allow you to have 220 and 120 for a outlet now or in the future. Use a bigger conduit than you need will make it easier to pull the wires through...

But let's get Allen to jump in with some details... @ajw22

Thanks,

Jim R.

I was planning on adding a separate 120V line for an outlet and possibly lighting in the pool area, not in the pool, off of a separate breaker running it through the same PVC conduit to the pool area. My pool area is just by my garage which has it's own 100Amp Sub Panel that I am planning on running power from, I am planning on building some stone walls between the two though so I'm trying to get the conduit in place and if possible run the wire in it as I bury it. Thanks for the replies in advance also.

Here is a shopping list of what may be a similar project ...

You need to use THWN wire. For 120V/240V 4 wires - black, red, white, green. Or you can use all black wires and properly mark the ends with colored tape plus a green wire.

I was planning on adding a separate 120V line for an outlet and possibly lighting in the pool area, not in the pool, off of a separate breaker running it through the same PVC conduit to the pool area. My pool area is just by my garage which has it's own 100Amp Sub Panel that I am planning on running power from, I am planning on building some stone walls between the two though so I'm trying to get the conduit in place and if possible run the wire in it as I bury it. Thanks for the replies in advance also.

I am confused about where things are and what you are wiring to where - Sub panel, pump, 120V outlet by pool.

"Same PVC conduit" as what?

I am confused about where things are and what you are wiring to where - Sub panel, pump, 120V outlet by pool.

"Same PVC conduit" as what?
I meant it as a reply Jim, unfortunately I'm new to forums and missed the whole reply button thing. I am running a pvc conduit underground from my garage to my pool pump. Jim had suggested using Two hots and a neutral so I could add a 120 outlet if needed and I was just stating that I was planning on having a 120V line run within this same PVC conduit that is going up to the pump That would be on a separate breaker that I could use in the future for adding lights in the area or something, just to get it up there now. I had a sub panel put in my garage as it is the closest thing to my pool rather than the basement of my house so I would be running the power from the panel in the garage, underground through PVC conduit to the pool pump. I hope this makes more sense and sorry if I am not explaining that well.

So you have a 100 Amp subpanel in your garage? Is this subpanel dedicated to the pool equipment or servicing other things in the house? No subpanel by the pool equipment pad?

It is 80' from the garage subpanel to the pool equipment pad?

You think you may ever want to power other equipment at your equipment pad? SWG? Heater? Heat Pump? Automation? Should you just put a subpanel by your equipment pad to power current and future equipment?

So you have a 100 Amp subpanel in your garage? Is this subpanel dedicated to the pool equipment or servicing other things in the house? No subpanel by the pool equipment pad?

It is 80' from the garage subpanel to the pool equipment pad?

You think you may ever want to power other equipment at your equipment pad? SWG? Heater? Heat Pump? Automation? Should you just put a subpanel by your equipment pad to power current and future equipment?
The 100Amp panel is in my garage, it is only for the garage currently but I wanted to feed the pool pump from it on it's own breaker. I have considered possibly adding a SWG in the future but I'm not sure if it's something I want or not really. I haven't thought of automation too much specifically, I was thinking something timer driven, I am new to this so I'm not super sure what is or is not an option. I don't think I will need a separate dedicated subpanel at the pad itself, the distance between the pad to the panel in the garage isn't that far, I estimate the 80' of wire more so for running it through the garage and under the ground, the pool area to my garage isn't far so I'm not concerned with having to go far to have to shut power off. So it would be feeding a pool pump, most likely 220V, some type of automation preferably something timer driven, and possibly a SWG. This would be an 80' run of wire, a good portion of which underground in PVC conduit.

I would install sub panel at the pool. Run 4 wires to it, feed from sub panel. Maybe 40 amp or so anyway. Much easier to add or change things and have circuit breaker nearer pool. With ground rod.

Dont know calculation for length and voltage drop. Probably 6 or 8 gauge wire.

Do you have a shutoff for your pump by the pool pad? Code requires a shutoff for a pump near the pump.

If you are going to be powering multiple devices on multiple breakers at your equipment pad you will have to run a large conduit with pull strings so youc an pull more wires int he future, if you don't put in a pool equipment subpanel.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would install sub panel at the pool. Run 4 wires to it, feed from sub panel. Maybe 40 amp or so anyway. Much easier to add or change things and have circuit breaker nearer pool. With ground rod.

There should be only one ground rod for a house connected to the main panel. All subpanel grounds should run to the main panel. Individual subpanels should not have their own ground rods.

Reactions: B_A_T
Do you have a shutoff for your pump by the pool pad? Code requires a shutoff for a pump near the pump.

If you are going to be powering multiple devices on multiple breakers at your equipment pad you will have to run a large conduit with pull strings so youc an pull more wires int he future, if you don't put in a pool equipment subpanel.
That's what I am trying to figure out now. I'd rather not have to put an another subpanel up by the pool. As of right now I would look at it as by it. There was a wire and ground wire run to it and I believe there is a ground rod by the original pump. The original pump is old and being replaced, the original wire is disconnected so I'm replacing. I can run the wires now in the conduit as I place it underground, I don't mind adding wires now for future items such as and SWG, even if I may not use it in the future. I know I'm not getting a heater or anything like that, I'm pretty much looking at just having the pump, timer, and possibly a SWG. When I Wire everything up I can incorporate a switch by the pump, that seems simple enough if that is code.

It would help us to see pics of what you have now.

Conduit has to be fairly large for easy pull of new wires. That's why you need to figure out now how many wires you need the conduit to be able to handle.

There should not be a ground rod used. The pool bonding grid should not be connected to a ground rod. All electrical grounds should be run to the grounding bar in the subpanel,

You planning on using GFCI CB's for the pump and outlet? What pump you getting? If you get a Pentair Intelliflo pump it is best to get the CBs recommended by Pentair.

Where will the timer be located? What timer will you be using?

The attached files are what's there currently. There is no motor for the pump, last homeowner threw it out, I'm pretty starting from scratch here. I'm planning on having someone replace the liner next spring so I'm trying to work on having making sure everything else will be running between now and then.
It would help us to see pics of what you have now.

Conduit has to be fairly large for easy pull of new wires. That's why you need to figure out now how many wires you need the conduit to be able to handle.

There should not be a ground rod used. The pool bonding grid should not be connected to a ground rod. All electrical grounds should be run to the grounding bar in the subpanel,

You planning on using GFCI CB's for the pump and outlet? What pump you getting? If you get a Pentair Intelliflo pump it is best to get the CBs recommended by Pentair.

Where will the timer be located? What timer will you be using?
The attached files are what's there currently. There is no motor for the pump, last homeowner threw it out, I'm pretty starting from scratch here. I'm planning on having someone replace the liner next spring so I'm trying to work on having making sure everything else will be running between now and then. I haven't looked at specific pumps yet, this is my first post here I was kind of just more focused on what to get in the ground I guess. I was considering, if possible, having the timer located in the garage. I would imagine that's one less sure running up to the pool. I can always go with a larger conduit if I have to, I just wanted to try to get what I could into the conduit as I glued it together since that would be the easiest route rather than trying to pull it through after. I do intend to use a GFCI breaker unless pump manufacturer says not to which seems highly unlikely.

Attachments

• 20190805_152644.jpg
    20190805_152644.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 22
  • 20190805_152647.jpg
    20190805_152647.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20190805_152622.jpg
    20190805_152622.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 23
Note that electrical conduit can have a maximum of four 90 degree bends before you have to provide a junction box.

Note that electrical conduit can have a maximum of four 90 degree bends before you have to provide a junction box.
Probably going to just need 2, one at each end where the conduit comes back up out of the ground. Other than that I sould be able to make large radius curves I think, shouldn't exceed 4 though. So for the pump I need 4 wires of THWN, I feel like I'll probably go with a 220V so this is the best bet. I'll have to figure out what gauge I need.

Probably going to just need 2, one at each end where the conduit comes back up out of the ground. Other than that I sould be able to make large radius curves I think, shouldn't exceed 4 though. So for the pump I need 4 wires of THWN, I feel like I'll probably go with a 220V so this is the best bet. I'll have to figure out what gauge I need.

For a 20 amp circuit and 80’ run 12AWG copper will be fine.

Last edited:
Code says a pool pump should be on a dedicated GFCI CB although many have their SWG on the same circuit.

Code says a pool pump should be on a dedicated GFCI CB although many have their SWG on the same circuit.
I'll just run another hot, neutral, and ground, 12 guage for a 110V circuit as well just in case. That should cover a SWG if I decide to add one one the future. Thanks so much for all the info, it was a huge help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.