Pool pump trips breaker after 5-10 minutes

bberryhill

Jan 29, 2020
Birmingham, AL
I've got a Hayward SP2607X10 pump. It's at least 10 years old. Last spring I had some issues with the booster pump. I wound up replacing the booster pump and in the process two new breakers were installed and the incorrect wiring which had both pumps on the same breaker was corrected so that the pumps are on different breakers. Everything ran fine all summer. A few weeks ago during a cold snap here in Alabama I had a problem with my intermatic PE653RC control. I wound up replacing it because I could not turn the pumps off from the control. They would turn on but the buttons would not turn them off.
So I just replaced the control and I ran the pool pump. About 5-10 minutes later it tripped the breaker. I thought I might have an issue with debris in the lines. The pump is at or slightly below the bottom of the pool level. Water from the bottom drains usually flows freely. I opened up the filter basket lid and water was not flowing. I cleaned out the basket and inlets, closed it back up and ran the pump. The pump pulled for awhile and eventually water began flowing again. Shut it down, opened up filter lid and water flowed from the bottom drain line like normal. Put it all back together, ran the pump and 5-10 minutes later it tripped. I did notice the pressure gauge on the sand filter is showing about 60 PSI when the pump is running. Normal has been 30-40 psi.

Lost as to what to look into next - any ideas are greatly appreciated.

B,

Just based upon your filter pressure gauge, I would have to assume that your filter is plugged up. 60 PSI is way up there.. I'm used to see pressures between 10 and 30 lbs.

I'm assuming the pump gets hot and pops a breaker.

When was the last time you back-washed your filter?

What kind of pool do you have?

Thanks,

Jim R.

That pump won't get anywhere near 60 psi.

26 psi is about the maximum pressure that that pump can generate.

It's probably a bad gauge.

Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?

Regarding the pump, you're going to have to check the voltage and amperage when the pump is on.

Make sure that the voltage selector is correct for the supplied voltage.

Make sure that the amperage is not in excess of what is specified on the motor label.

The trip might be due to a ground fault. Check for a ground fault.

Last edited:
In-ground pool about 28K gallons. Hayward sand filter.
Could be a bad gauge. I don' think I've ever seen it a zero even when the pump is off. It usually rest at around 30 when off, up to 40 when running.
I had recently backwashed put I did it again today and verified that water was flowing freely out the end of the drain. While backwashing the gauge was reading 50 psi. After backwashing the gauge went back to 60 (while running). After it tripped the breaker again, the gauge went to 42.
Waterflow to the pool is good, great, but not significantly different than when the gauge read around 40 when running.
So the gauge might be a red-herring. I'll see about replacing it.
I had electricians out last spring. Can I rule out a problem with the pump before I call them back? Hate to just replace the pump and find out that is not the problem.
It's not that cold today, 54, but could the weather be affecting the filter? I've run the pump in the past when it was below freezing without any issue. I replaced the sand in the filter within the last two years. I suppose I could open the filter and poke around in the sand?

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

B,

With your update, it sounds like your gauge is bad, so I would discount anything it said..

Does the pump run off of a GFCI breaker? If a GFCI breaker, I would make sure there is no moisture, or bugs, in any of the connections...

Since the problem occurred right after you replaced the Timer, it may be that it is just not set up or wired correctly.. :scratch:

Show us a pic of the wiring to the timer and tell us what mode it is in..

Thanks,

Jim R.

How comfortable are you with opening the back of the pump and using a multimeter to do some tests?

Can you open the back of the pump and show a picture of the wiring and also a picture of the breaker?

Hmmm ... rechecked all wiring. Tightened all connections. Intermatic manual had a troubleshooting note about 1 speed vs 2 speed configuration. Since the unit was bought used I unpaired the receiver and the controller, reset the controller to factory, paired the controller back to the receiver, stepped through the configuration and ensured it was configured for 1 speed pump.
Ran the pump and the cleaner pump using the intermatic controller - it ran for an hour or more. Would seem to indicate the wiring and the pumps are good.
I controlled the old receiver using my vera home control unit - so that is the ultimate goal.
Unpaired the intermatic controller.
Paired the intermatic receiver to my vera unit. The intermatic receiver appeared in the vera display as expected. But, the vera unit would not turn any of the devices on. Turned the pool pump on from the intermatic receiver and the pool pump indicator on the vera indicated it was on. Did the same with the cleaner pump and the pool lights.
Attempted to turn a device off from the vera software - noticed the power light on the intermatic receiver went out and all devices were turned off. It seems that when the vera unit does transmit to the intermatic receiver the receiver is being recycled - turning all devices off in the process.
I've tried intermatic support recently - they are no help after you mention the word "vera" and I suspect the same is true if you mention any controller other than the intermatic controller.
Next step is to try to get some help from MIOS, the maker of the vera unit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.