Pool Pump tripping breaker

runboy

Jun 26, 2018
Mesa/AZ
Just moved to a new house and getting to know my new pool. I am having a problem with the Pool Pump (Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump) tripping the breaker (15A Dual Pole AE-2936) about once every week.
I am hoping its just a case of the breaker being slightly under-dimensioned. The pump does say 16A. Highest speed I have set is 2900 which gives a wattage usage of between 1400-1600W which is no where near 15A. I imagine however that there are higher spikes during turn on etc.

Should I just upgrade the breaker to 20A and hope the problem disappears?

run,

Welcome to TFP.. a great place to find the answers to all of your "Tripping in AZ" questions... :shark:

The Pentair IntelliFlo is/was known for randomly tripping GFCI breakers..

Pentair actually sells a "Pentair" 20 amp GFCI breaker for the IntelliFlo.. My Pool Builder, who has to be the cheapest man on earth, put one in my pool build... so there has to be a reason... :p

If nothing else, I would install a Siemens breaker, as they are actually the OEM of Pentair's breakers...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

run,

Welcome to TFP.. a great place to find the answers to all of your "Tripping in AZ" questions... :shark:

The Pentair IntelliFlo is/was known for randomly tripping GFCI breakers..

Pentair actually sells a "Pentair" 20 amp GFCI breaker for the IntelliFlo.. My Pool Builder, who has to be the cheapest man on earth, put one in my pool build... so there has to be a reason... :p

If nothing else, I would install a Siemens breaker, as they are actually the OEM of Pentair's breakers...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Just an update. I did install a Siemens Breaker and hasn't had any issues since. Thanks Jim

Just an update. I did install a Siemens Breaker and hasn't had any issues since. Thanks Jim

I want to assume it was indeed a 20Amp GFCI breaker.

Please be aware that a circuit with a 15Amp Breaker only requires 14 gauge wire, but a 20Amp Breaker must have a minimum of 12 gauge wire all the way back to the panel? It's not as simple as just changing the breaker. If your wire is only 14 gauge, it should be replaced with 12 gauge.

Not only is it code, but a fire hazard!

I want to assume it was indeed a 20Amp GFCI breaker.

Please be aware that a circuit with a 15Amp Breaker only requires 14 gauge wire, but a 20Amp Breaker must have a minimum of 12 gauge wire all the way back to the panel? It's not as simple as just changing the breaker. If your wire is only 14 gauge, it should be replaced with 12 gauge.

Not only is it code, but a fire hazard!

It is. I have a subpanel by the pool equipment and the wires running to the main panel are a lot bigger. I think the subpanel is rated at 120A or something like it

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.