Pool Pump Suction

Ronson_321

May 12, 2020
Los Angeles
We had a bad storm in our area last Friday which dumped loads of leaves and branches in the pool. Took hours to clean up! The baskets both in the skimmer and next to the pump were jammed tight with leaves and twigs.

My problem is that now the suction generated by the pump is way down on what it was prior to the storm (insufficient to drive the pool vac around even on max RPMs). I tried backwashing but this didn't help.

I'm assuming that as the problem only started after the storm it is likely due to leaves and debris in the pipes.

Any suggestions on the best way of dealing with this kind of problem ? Is it OK to use a plumbing snake on the pipes ?

Any help appreciated !

We had a bad storm in our area last Friday which dumped loads of leaves and branches in the pool. Took hours to clean up! The baskets both in the skimmer and next to the pump were jammed tight with leaves and twigs.

My problem is that now the suction generated by the pump is way down on what it was prior to the storm (insufficient to drive the pool vac around even on max RPMs). I tried backwashing but this didn't help.

I'm assuming that as the problem only started after the storm it is likely due to leaves and debris in the pipes.

Any suggestions on the best way of dealing with this kind of problem ? Is it OK to use a plumbing snake on the pipes ?

Any help appreciated !
You can try and snake it, but a better option may be to use a shop vac or a drain king to flush the lines from the pump side.
thanks

full

full

Hey Ronson !!! In theory the skimmer baskets would stop any of the larger debris, but small chunks of leaves (etc) could be ripped through the basket holes under pressure and end up in the pump basket. Some of those may have gotten through and clogged your impeller, so I'd start there. **With the power off an un-turn-on-able**, remove the pump lid and basket and reach inside to verify the impeller is spinning freely and clean of small debris.

My next thought would be the filter. Did the PSI rise considerably ? A backwash may not be enough and you may need a deep clean if the small debris made it through the impeller and clogged the filter. See here or search for other deep clean posts / articles if you aren't already well versed in it.

Hey Ronson !!! In theory the skimmer baskets would stop any of the larger debris, but small chunks of leaves (etc) could be ripped through the basket holes under pressure and end up in the pump basket. Some of those may have gotten through and clogged your impeller, so I'd start there. **With the power off an un-turn-on-able**, remove the pump lid and basket and reach inside to verify the impeller is spinning freely and clean of small debris.

My next thought would be the filter. Did the PSI rise considerably ? A backwash may not be enough and you may need a deep clean if the small debris made it through the impeller and clogged the filter. See here or search for other deep clean posts / articles if you aren't already well versed in it.
Thanks for the suggestions!

I checked the pump and the impeller spins fine and is clean.

In fact I now think the problem is neither the pump nor the filter as when I set the pump to suck from the hot tub rather than the pool skimmer the water flow is fine. As soon as I set it back to suck from the pool the flow immediately goes down. I think this means the problem must be a blockage (or other issue) with the pipes between the pump and the pool skimmer.

Are there any suggestion on how to clear such a blockage ? (My attempts with the drain hose failed as it couldn't navigate the bends)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.