Pool Pump Recommendations - Variable Speed

AngusMcgregor

Jun 23, 2021
Ontario, Canada
HI all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a new pool pump. I have a Hayward Super Pump (1Hp), that has recently decided to stop working. I think the bearings are seized. I can't turn the impeller, even when I've removed the motor from the wet end. I had been interested in upgrading to a variable speed pump for the purported energy savings and now seems like the time ( I might pull the old pump apart and rebuild it later).
I have a 20x40 foot pool with an avg depth of 8ft. I have a Hayward sand filter with 3.1sq ft of area (63GPM), a Titan Titanium Heat exchanger, and 2" pipes. I have 2 return lines and a main drain, a skimmer drain, and a vacuum port. How do I know what HP is sufficient (I felt circulation was maybe a bit weak) but that wont be overkill. I was thinking about the Hayward Super pump VS but had a company quote me on the Pentair Intellipro VS at about twice the cost. Thoughts?

The Hayward Super pump is a great pump. The only reason I can see to use the Intellipro is if you are going to pentair automation. The comparable Pentair pump to the Super Pump is the SuperFlo from Pentair.

Can you give us the exact model# of both pumps? Do you have 115v or 230v at the pad?

The Hayward Super pump is a great pump. The only reason I can see to use the Intellipro is if you are going to pentair automation. The comparable Pentair pump to the Super Pump is the SuperFlo from Pentair.

Can you give us the exact model# of both pumps? Do you have 115v or 230v at the pad?

I have the SP1607Z1MBK model of the single speed Super Pump. I think it's a dual voltage pump and I'm fairly certain it is set up as 230V as it's a dual breaker I throw to turn it off. That said, the capacitor is only a 115VAC cap, which appear to be fine, assuming it has some sort of internal voltage regulation if it's a dual volt model.
I don't have the model number for the Intellipro that a pool company recommended but it appear to be the full size 3HP unit. I get the sense they're trying to sell me on the full automation highest end Pentair stuff. I had also inquired about converting to a salt water pool and then same sort of thing, unit they recommended was Pentair full automation and at the top of the price range. I'm indifferent to full automation and couldn't care less if I can control my pool from my phone, in fact, I'd really rather not have anything like that. Max automation I'm interested in is a local panel with no wifi or other capabilities.
I'm ideally looking to for variable speed as eveything seems to suggest I will experience decent cost savings and my costs currently for electricity are quite high. I have decent understanding of some of this stuff but simply don't know what I don't know.

Hey @PoolStored ,

Just following up and assuming I might not have given you the information you were asking for.
I've been doing some reading trying to determine what I need. My sand filter has a max GPM of 63, plumbing is 2" so looks like 73GPM there. I don't currently have a SWG though am contemplating so it appears are though I need something that pulls less than 63GPM. I haven't seen anything that suggests what the HP relationship to these really is. Current single speed is 1HP at 3450 rpm. My electricity bill skyrockets in the summer and I'm guessing it's at least partially the pump. Could be Titan heat exchanger but bill is pretty consistent even in months when it's not really running or could be my household AC. At any rate everything indicates I can see some pretty substantial savings if I move to a variable speed pump and run it at a lower RPM, even half, I should see significant savings. I'm been looking at pump affinity laws to better understand the relationships. Also it looks like my current pump has a 73 GPM flow rate, which exceeds what the filter can take. Is this right?
So for variable speed replacements, what would you guys recommend. If I go 3HP does that allow me to run it at the slowest speed but still achieve minimum gpm? or can I get away with something lower like 1.85HP.
One pool store suggested the Hayward Super Pump VS but it doesn't seem like it has a rpm lower than my current pump. The Pentair I mentioned above (PEN-IF-VSP) does but at more than 2x the cost. What about the Hayward Tristar VS (W3SP3202VSP). Looks like it goes down to 600 rpm. Thoughts. Any others I should be looking at? If I add a SWG if there one I should get that works with your pump recommendation?

If I go 3HP does that allow me to run it at the slowest speed but still achieve minimum gpm? or can I get away with something lower like 1.85HP.
Yes, 3hp will push the same amount at lower speeds than the 1.85hp
One pool store suggested the Hayward Super Pump VS but it doesn't seem like it has a rpm lower than my current pump.
Not true...

1686701156160.png
Speed Range: 600-3450 rpm

I would get the Hayward Super Pump VS, or the Pentair Superflo VST.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.