Pool pump overheating (Hayward Super Pump)

davecap

Jul 23, 2021
Orillia, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm pretty new to pools. We moved into a house with a pool and over the past couple months (and thanks to TFP) I have learned a ton. My pool has been crystal clear thankfully, but now my pump is overheating and shutting off. This happens really quickly when backwashing (in under a minute), I assume because it is already super hot from normal use. I do leave it on 24/7.

The pump is a Hayward super pump and seems about 5-10 years old but not sure. It is connected to a sand filter, and then to a new Jandy heater. I will post pics as soon as I can. The PSI has been around 10 but has been creeping up to 15. I have been backwashing a lot (every few days for a few minutes) because of a high CYA issue, but it started overheating about a week ago. I cleaned out the pump filter which had a bunch of stuff in there, but that didn't seem to fix the problem.

I've read things about cleaning the impeller, but my pressure is high and not low so that leads me to believe my sand filter is probably super clogged. When I backwash the water is clear though... as far as I can tell. Is the pump just dead? Any other ideas of things to try? I'm a bit afraid to open up the top of the sand filter and look inside.

Thanks!

More than likely it is the bearings starting to go out and causing excess load. Is the pump leaking at all? Is there any annoying noise coming from the pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.