Pool pump only turns on when booster pump is on

techman65

Dec 12, 2013
Augusta, GA
Hi All,

I just went to turn on my pump and discovered something unusual. The pump will only turn on when the booster pump is also on.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this issue? I have not experienced this before.

Thanks

How are your filter pump and booster pump controlled?

Show us pics of the wiring and controls of the pumps.

How are your filter pump and booster pump controlled?

Show us pics of the wiring and controls of the pumps.
I have an Intermatic timer that I normally use to control them. I've included a few pics -- one of them shows a wire (circled in red) that is not connected to anything but I can't tell where it goes.

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20230319_194555636.jpg
    PXL_20230319_194555636.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20230319_194608597.jpg
    PXL_20230319_194608597.jpg
    456.6 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230319_194647586~2.jpg
    PXL_20230319_194647586~2.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 7
You need to flip the breakers off then remove the two screws on the CB panel and remove the panel. And remove the OFF-ON protectors under the timer toggle to be able to take pics that show all the wiring to the timers.

pxl_20230319_194555636-jpg.477864

Obviously it should be the other way around. The booster can't come on unless the main pump is on.

Assuming it was working correctly, I can't think of a reason for it to work backwards. :scratch:

What happened recently? Did someone change any wiring, replace a pump, replace a timer or???

Why do you only have an off tab on the timer on the left, which I assume is for the main pump???

I like Allen's idea of letting us see the wiring behind the safety covers.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:

Obviously it should be the other way around. The booster can't come on unless the main pump is on.
I know, right? My pump has always worked where I had to turn on the main pump before I could run the booster.
Assuming it was working correctly, I can't think of a reason for it to work backwards. :scratch:

What happened recently? Did someone change any wiring, replace a pump, replace a timer or???
Nothing has changed with the hardware recently. What I can tell you is that I've been battling a leak for a while and over the winter got tired of constantly refilling the pool and let it go. I have not run the pump since the fall. Now I have a dark green swamp and just when I'm ready to finally battle the green monster my pump is acting up.
Why do you only have an off tab on the timer on the left, which I assume is for the main pump???
I only have the off tab on the timer for the main pump bc I didn't want it turning on when the water was low.
I like Allen's idea of letting us see the wiring behind the safety covers.
I have included a couple pics of the wiring as Allen suggested.
Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for your feedback on this.

Attachments

• PXL_20230319_225734331.jpg
    PXL_20230319_225734331.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230319_225745358.jpg
    PXL_20230319_225745358.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 10
We can't see how the wires in the lower pic connect to the upper pic.

We need to see the entire box and all wires from start to end in one pic.

Do you have a voltmeter?

If so, turn off the timer on the right..

On the left timer, which I assume is for your main pump, measure between pin 1 and pin 3 with the manual switch set to off.

You should get 240 Volts AC. Do not measure pin 1 to ground and then pin 3 to ground. Put one probe on pin 1 and the other probe on pin 3.

If you have 240 Volts AC, then turn on the manual switch and measure between pin 2 and pin 4 and see if you have 240 Volts AC.

Let me know the results.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim and I are taking different approaches to figuring out what is going on with your pump wiring. You can decide if you want to humor Jim or I or both of us with our requests.

I believe your left side Intermatic switch is broken and not going on, or your freeze protection switch is broken, or some combination of those two.

I suspect what is happening is when your booster pump turns on power is backfed through maybe the freeze protection device into the main pump and runs it.

You have many wires that disappear from view and so I can't figure out what wire connects to where.

Below is your electrical box. I marked wires A,B,C,D,1,2. I need you to tell me where the other end of each of those wires goes.

In addition there are a few wires coming out of the freeze protection device on the bottom left that I circled in green. You need to tell me where each of those wires goes to.

If you are going to touch anything in the electrical box for safety YOU MUST TRIP THE BREAKER IN YOUR MAIN ELECTRICAL PANEL THAT FEEDS THIS BOX!

Or clip the wire ties and pull out all the wires from behind the circuit breakers so a picture can clearly show where a wire starts and ends.

The central wires feeding power from the main panel to this panel are clear. And the wires feeding the main pump and booster pump are clear.

And current electrical codes require a GFCI Circuit Breaker for pool pumps. For safety you should replace your pump CB with a GFCI CB.

If this is more then you are comfortable with then you should get an electrician to look at your box.

PXL_20230319_225659414.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

My approach is that you can't guess what is wrong, you need to actually troubleshoot to determine what is wrong.

I think Allen is spot on about the left timer being bad and that the main pump is being fed backwards.

The only way to tell for sure is to run some tests or have an electrician come out and fix it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi,
I just wanted to post an update on this issue. After the detailed wiring info that Allen sent, I decided to get in touch with an electrician who deals with pool pump wiring to get that sorted out. I will also have them check on my GFCI situation.

The pump continues to make a squealing sound when I turn it on and am pretty sure it is the bearings after talking with one of the support guys at Inyo Pool. The motor has some pretty bad corrosion and I thought it made sense to go ahead and order a replacement pool pump motor. Once the electrical is inspected, I will go ahead and replace the motor.

Thanks to you both for your feedback.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.