Pool pump no longer runs on low, and blows the circuit breaker when set to high

Sep 17, 2007
Simi Valley, CA
Hello,

I have a Hayward (Century) 2 speed pool pump and an OmniLogic system to run all the equipment. I was in the backyard a few days ago and the pump ( on high) just shut off mid cycle, tripped the breaker at my pool sub, and ALSO tripped the main breaker at the house that powers all the pool equipment. In December I had replaced the coil so I thought it failed again. I replaced the coil this morning but the issue is still happening.

Pump on:
Low Volume: Nothing happens. No movement of the pump motor. no humming. no sounds at all.
Switch to High and *BAM!* heard a loud pop, see a flash at the back end of the motor, and the circuit breakers tripped at the pool sub panel and at the main breaker. this is repeatable.

All the wiring in the Omnilogic panel looks intact, nothing out of sorts.

Looking for ideas on what could cause these symptoms.

Pump Info:
8OH6FQQ.jpg

Capacitor info:
voFXbFu.jpg

TIA
CF

Last edited:
Update:

Tried a known good breaker from my other pump..same results.

Opened the back of the motor up and didn't see anything shorted out or a dead lizard or anything that seemed to be amiss.

Tried to run the pump again, same result. No movement on LOW, on High it pops, i saw a spark come out the bottom of the pump, through the air vent.

I guess it's time for a new motor. Dang thing was only 3.5 years old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.