Pool pump losing power ?

Jake5449

Jul 18, 2020
Montreal, Canada
Hi guys,

We have a problem with our pool : the water jets (return jets) are quite a lot less powerful than they used to be. My father noticed that by putting his fingers in front of one. Before, we couldn't even put our hands in front of it, because the pressure was very high. Now, we can put a few fingers a few inches in front of them and keep them there (with some force).

Relevant information and things we've done :

We have an approximately 60,000 liters inground pool, with a Jacuzzi Laser 250 filter. Water is supposed to be sucked in from the skimmer and bottom drain.

We figured maybe the jets are weak because the pressure isn't high enough, but the pressure gauge in the sand filter indicates 19-20 psi, which is apparently normal for an inground pool.We read online that air leaks could cause low pressure. We checked the o-rings : they look good. We checked for bubbles in the return jets and the pump strainer : there were none.

My father also noticed that when we put it on "Drain", the water shoots out on the street with less pressure than it used to.

We thought maybe the sand is so dirty that even though the pump is less powerful for some reason, the pressure still shows 20, but would show a much lower one with clean sand... but we backwashed, rinsed and even used a bottle of sand cleaner (emptied it in the pump strainer basket according to instructions on the label).

Now we're wondering : would it be possible that the pump (suddenly) loses power with time ?

If you'd like to have pictures or have us try something, please let me know.

Thank you !

P.S.: We tried to put it on "recirculate" (whirlpool) and the jets were still weak. Apparently, it seems that the sand filter wouldn't be the culprit here...

Also, some relevant info : according to my father, it seems that the water jets became less powerful a bit after we sanded our wooden deck (right next to our pool). and the pool floor was covered with wood dust.

Check for a clogged impeller from the wood dist...

Hi !

First of all, sorry for the delay, I've been very busy with other pressing issues and am now focusing on the pool.

The pump is a Magnum force 1.5 HP. Regarding the speed, it is single (as far as I know, there is no speed setting, only classic modes such as Waste, filter etc.)

Alright, so we've unscrewed the pump from the filter and took it to a pump repair shop for a troubleshoot. The guy said our pump was in good shape and if there's a issue with our weak jets, then it's not the pump.

We were a bit puzzled since having it on recirculate and waste (bypassing the sand filter), we still had weak jets. We were sure the pump was our culprit.

Anyways we decided to change the sand since it was long overdue. Our last hypothesis was that the little filter basket right beneath the mode selector on the sand filter was jammed with debris. We opened up the sand filter and the basket was clean. We then proceeded to change empty out all the sand until the laterals became visible. we unscrewed them one by one to clean them.

Looking into the stand pipe we found that there was a plastic part sticking out in the bottom, that looked like this :

View attachment 155900

Then, looking from the hole from the side on the bottom of the standpipe, here's what it looks like.

View attachment 155901

It seems that the cover on the bottom broke off... could that be the reason behind our weak jets even on recirculate and drain since the water has to come up through the stand pipe ?

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.