Pool pump issues

CitizenCain

May 14, 2020
Central FL
Hello everyone I,m a complete noob when it comes to pools. I have a 14000g in ground pool I,m trying to get it up and running for the summer but I,m having some odd issues When I have my pool filter set to recirculate my pump basket has minimal air pockets and I have great flow coming from the return jets. My problem happens when I have the filter set to filter I lose almost all water in the pump basket and it is replaced with... you guessed it air. and my water flow is no existent, Today I had the filtration selector rebuild with all new seals and a new spring because the pool supply company was confident that was my problem, Unfortunately is was not the issue. Ive included pics of my set up if it helps. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• IMG-0161.jpg
    IMG-0161.jpg
    759 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-0159.jpg
    IMG-0159.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 27
Hi, welcome to TFP! Did you have any other pool plumbing work done lately? Where does the pipe labeled "waste" connect? I can't really tell in the photo. I'm pretty sure the line they have labeled "to pool" is plumbed to the waste port on the multiport valve. Also if you could get a photo of the valve under the pipe labeled "skimmer" so we can see what position it is in that would help too.

C,

Welcome to TFP!

Is the skimmer box obstructed with a rag, weir stuck in the up position, or is the pool level below the skimmer box? Try switching the pump suction to the drain. If that works there's an obstruction is the skimmer suction somewhere.

Chris

OK I hate to say this but that's weird. There should be a skimmer box where water overflows into a skimmer box that has a basket in it. Normally there's a floating weir in this box. If the weir is stuck at the highest level it can cause suction problems that would result in your symptoms. Can you please post a photo or two of the pool?

Chris

CC,

What you say does not make sense logical sense to me... In the recirculate mode, the pump sucks water from your skimmer and pushes it "around" your filter and back to the pool. In the filter mode the water has to pass through the filter before going to the pool. Logic say that it if works in the recirculate mode, and not in the Filter mode, it has to be the filter or the MPV valve.

It can't be because something is in the skimmer line.

When you say you "cleaned" your filter, did you just backwash it, or did you disassemble it and clean each grid?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I took the grids out and sprayed each one. I just replaced all the seals and springs in the mpv. I had the pool professionally cleaned last year and per his suggestion I bought all new insides for the de filter and new o rings. 91534B47-0FE7-499B-A5D1-07B5CEDE2B48.jpeg

Attachments

• 592F2195-A59A-4AAC-99DB-D2BDD2DE40FC.jpeg
    592F2195-A59A-4AAC-99DB-D2BDD2DE40FC.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 15
  • B3E3A7E0-B09F-4EF4-813A-0198EBD11320.jpeg
    B3E3A7E0-B09F-4EF4-813A-0198EBD11320.jpeg
    664.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 1228A003-E0C4-49B3-9C69-40946E2922A5.jpeg
    1228A003-E0C4-49B3-9C69-40946E2922A5.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 13

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CC,

I am not sure it is facing wrong, but I understand that you can assembly them wrong when they are being repaired.. It was just a thought...

Did you have this same problem before you did any repair work to the MPV?

Does your MPV have a part number on it??

Just trying to understand how it can work in recirculate and not in filter. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

CC,

What you say does not make sense logical sense to me... In the recirculate mode, the pump sucks water from your skimmer and pushes it "around" your filter and back to the pool. In the filter mode the water has to pass through the filter before going to the pool. Logic say that it if works in the recirculate mode, and not in the Filter mode, it has to be the filter or the MPV valve.

It can't be because something is in the skimmer line.

When you say you "cleaned" your filter, did you just backwash it, or did you disassemble it and clean each grid?

Thanks,

Jim R.
My bad. I didn't realize in recirculate mode it was taking suction from the skimmer. (Don't have a DE filter).

Chris

Heres 2 short clips of my skimmer. One is when the filter is set to recirculate and other is set to filter. You can see the suction difference. Not sure this is gonna help but what the heck.

Recirculate
Filter

Last edited by a moderator:
CC,

What I see is that in recirculate mode there is good flow through the whole system.

In the filter mode you do not have good flow through the system, If the water can't get through the filter, it can't just magically disappear, so it backs up and causes the pump to suck less out of the skimmer.

What is the P/N of your MPV.. It should be on the label..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I completely took apart my de filter cleaned off each grid and put it back, Flow seems to be 100% better and suction seems to be on par when its on recirculate. My filter is a de3620 my pool guy told me to add 3 lbs of DE powder is it possible that it was to much and I clogged my filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.