Pool Pump Humming -- Capacitor?

Oct 7, 2014
Braintree, MA
Not sure what it is about me and pool pumps, but feels like the industry has something in common with gas water heaters...mine seem to break down consistently every 2-3 years.

Current situation -- have a Blue Torrent ABOVE GROUND HURRICANE-D SERIES pump that is not turning and making the familiar humming noise. Tried to jump start it by nudging the impeller and no dice. Also there is a distinct burning smell.

Is my next step to try a capacitor? Any way to figure out which one i need?

Thanks for any help

Not sure what it is about me and pool pumps, but feels like the industry has something in common with gas water heaters...mine seem to break down consistently every 2-3 years.

Current situation -- have a Blue Torrent ABOVE GROUND HURRICANE-D SERIES pump that is not turning and making the familiar humming noise. Tried to jump start it by nudging the impeller and no dice.

Is my next step to try a capacitor? Any way to figure out which one i need?

Thanks for any help
The capacitor rating should be visible on the old one. After making sure the power is off, be sure to short the contacts on the old one with a screwdriver before touching them. Be sure the handle of the screwdriver is a good plastic or wood.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.