Pool pump housing crack repair.

Danow

Mar 17, 2021
Texas
I just wanted to put this out there since so many here in texas had their pool pumps crack from the cold snap we had a couple weeks ago. My moms pool pump housing cracked from the cold.... she lost power so the pump froze.
It is a super 2 Hayward pump and the suction side where the basket goes had hair line cracks barely visible to the eye along the bottom. It wouldn't prime due to sucking in air from the cracks in the bottom. I figured I would try to seal it since I had nothing to lose. I dried it out and cleaned it with rubbing alcohol which did make it through the case underneath. I dried out the alcohol and heated it up with a heat gun to get the rest of the alcohol out. I then poured in some water thin superglue I bought online but you can get it at hobby stores and it was made for plastic. I coated the bottom and then applied some more heat to the case to accelerate the process. I then waited about one hour and then poured in the water to prime the pump. I started the pump up and it primed just fine. I figured with the hair line cracks the superglue would seal it just fine and since it is on the suction side there wasn't any pressure to deal with. Anyway there you go, if it helps just one person out then great.

Reactions: BowserB
Glad you got it fixed. Keep us updated on how the fix lasts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.