Long Island , NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I am looking to replace my 1hp super pump. On suction side I have individual 2" lines from 2 skimmers that connect before pump. I have a Hayward 60 sq ft DE filter that the gauge reads 5psi when clean. On the discharge I have 2 separate 2" lines that lead to wall returns and a 2" to 1.5" that leads to bottom returns.

I am planning on installing a heat pump and SWCG and while I was at it wanted to replace pump.
I am hesitant to go with VS Intelliflo because of poor warranty for DIY installs and price. The people who have problems get little support from Pentair. The other VS with reasonable warranties seem to be made in China pumps with no long term reviews.

I was considering 1/2hp Whisperflo. Our season in NY is only 4 months so even if I did go with VS I feel break even for higher priced unit would be several years.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks you

I am hesitant to go with VS Intelliflo because of poor warranty for DIY installs and price
That’s one way of seeing it for sure. The other way is that it is the gold standard of pumps for a reason and besides being a workhorse, 99.99% of people see no issues. Statistics is in your favor here, big time.

My SWG would have cost double to buy from a dealer and have it installed. If it failed I had enough leftover money to buy a second one and break even.

Thanks for your quick response and comment. My thought is since most people are running these on low settings anyway why not get a smaller pump that is sized correctly.

I'm not sure about 99.99%.
From Amazon reviews for Intelliflo 11028

1619790141908.png

Attachments

• 1619789968938.png
    1619789968938.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 0
The 1/2 hp Whisperflo has a SF of 1.95 so it essentially is a 1 hp. It is below the Federal threshold of 1.1 THP so you should be able to get replacement motors in the future. As long as you do not use the pump to vacuum you should be OK. Only other item that might be effected would be backwashing your DE filter. If you find that not as efficient, you may need to break down the filter each time to clean it or change to a large cartridge filter. The Heat Pump also requires a certain flow rate so you may have issues when your filter starts to get a bit dirty.

There are VS pumps with better warranty for DIY install - Waterway is one.

My thought is since most people are running these on low settings anyway why not get a smaller pump that is sized correctly.
A larger pump moves the same flow as a smaller one with less power used. Same result at lower electric bills.

Keep in mind too, your paybacks will probably come quicker than you think. Come summertime you will already be in a higher electric bracket from AC use. The pool pump may push you into the 3rd bracket which costs even more. Then whatever usage you have gets the 103% (?) power and deliver surcharge and taxes and...... yeah. PSGELI is awful. Lol.

Amazon reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. Many times people trash something (anything from anywhere) when they didn’t purchase the right thing for their situation or misused it. It’s kinda like Yelp. Any fool can post complaints. It doesn’t mean they were reasonable ones.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.